- 1 pound Idaho potatoes
- 3 cups cloves peeled garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped basil leaves
- salt and frshly ground black pepper
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 six-ounce salmon steaks
- 1/2 pound sugar snap peas, string removed
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 4 basil leaves for garnish
- Peel the potatoes and cut into 1-inch dice. Put the potatoes and garlic in a pot with cold water that just covers the potatoes. Season with salt and simmer until the potatoes are falling apart and the water has reduced by 1/3, (20 - 30 minutes). Add the chopped basil and 6 tablespoons olive oil and puree with a hand-held blender. Season with salt and pepper. Keep warm. The sauce should be the consistency of a smooth applesauce.
- Preheat the broiler. Season the salmon on both sides with salt and pepper and arrange on a broiler pan. Add the sugar snap peas to the pan and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle the fish and the peas with olive oil. Broil the salmon until done (6 - 10 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish). Toss the peas halfway through the cooking so they cook on both sides evenly.
- To serve, put a spoonful of sauce on each of 4 warm dinner plates. Arrange the fish on top, sprinkle with the sugar snaps, drizzle with lemon juice and garnish with a basil leaf.