This banana and toffee (“banoffee” — get it?) dessert has English origins but in the hands of Boston’s own Brian Poe it gets a modern update. His version has a s’mores-shortbread and toffee crust, and it’s topped with white chocolate mousse. Serve yours in a small glass to keep everything contained or put it on a plate for the true “deconstructed” feel. Feeling extra fancy? Sprinkle a few chocolate chips on for a finishing touch.
- 3 large bananas chopped
- 1 cup of caramel sauce (you can either make your own or buy your favorite)
- 1/2 cup condensed milk (split into two 1/4 cups)
- 7 ounces white chocolate chopped in fine pieces + 1 pound block of white chocolate
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup + 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 heath toffee bar, broken into small pieces
- 1 box of s'mores or shortbread cookies
- 1 stick of butter
- Toss chopped bananas in the caramel sauce and mix in the condensed milk. Set aside.
- Place 7 ounces of the chopped white chocolate in a large bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, add the egg yolks and sugar and whisk until smooth.
- In a saucepan over low heat, bring the 1/4 cup of heavy cream to a simmer. With a ladle, slowly add the cream into the large mixing bowl of egg yolk and sugar, mixing with a spoon or whip as you go. When the mixture coats the spoon, we are ready for the next step.
- Next, pour the hot mixture through a fine mesh sieve over the bowl of chopped white chocolate.
- Next, whip the other 1 cup of cream into whipped cream and fold into the now egg, sugar, cream and white chocolate mixture.
- For the crust, pulse the heath toffee bar and equal parts s’mores and shortbread cookie. Pieces should be about a ¼ inch crumble.
- Melt 1 stick of butter with 1/4 cup condensed milk, lightly toss the warm liquid with the cookie crumbles. And let rest warm.
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the 1 pound block of white chocolate and creating shavings.
- To plate, spoon the cookie crust onto the plate, top with the banana caramel mixture, then top with a healthy sized spoonful of the white chocolate mousse, and garnish with white chocolate shavings. Or serve in a small glass.