Get a taste of island life with this luxurious three-part recipe from chef Erin Zircher of Nantucket’s Cru restaurant. This Blue Crab Cocktail, which is right out of her 2019 cookbook CRU Oyster Bar Nantucket Cookbook: Savoring Four Seasons of the Good Life, includes her signature cocktail sauce and horseradish crème fraiche for a super simple dish that’ll make you feel like you’re sitting on the deck at Cru watching the yachts roll in.
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 2 ounces cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 pound jumbo lump crab meat
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup horseradish crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup classic cocktail sauce
- flake sea salt
- 1 lemon, cut into 4 wedges
- Using a mixer with the whisk attachment, whip the cream cheese until it is completely smooth.
- Add the crème fraiche and heavy cream and whip on medium-high speed until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the horseradish, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until ready to use. (Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
- Combine all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Transfer to a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid
- Refrigerate until completely chilled before serving. (Can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.)
- In a medium bowl, gently toss the crab with the chives and oil.
- Place 1 tablespoon horseradish crème fraîche in the bottom of each of four small bowls or rocks glasses.
- Top each with 1 tablespoon cocktail sauce, then divide the crab among the bowls.
- Top with a pinch of flake sea salt and serve each with a wedge of lemon.