Chef Ana Sortun might very well be the queen of creating vegetable dishes that you actually want to eat. In this recipe, the award-winning chef and cookbook author shares a simple way for you to continue the veggie lovin’ at home with the tasty and turnip-y kohlrabi. If using the cruciferous veg is too far out of your comfort zone, Sortun says you can substitute with green garlic, kale, scallions, carrots or parsnips instead. Whichever pancake base you pick, make sure to serve with the green harissa.
- 4 medium sized kohlrabi, the size of a golf ball, peeled and grated (using large holes of a box grater)
- Salt to taste
- 1 egg
- A little chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup olive oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons butter for frying
- 4 cups of rough chopped Hungarian wax peppers, no stem
- 1 large bunch of cilantro, cleaned with a little stem left- rough chop
- 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley, cleaned with a little stem left- rough chop
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic, about 3 cloves
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon of Spanish sherry vinegar
- Optional—1/2 cup lightly toasted pepitas
- Salt to taste
- Lightly salt the grated kohlrabi and place in a colander for 5 minutes, allowing the kohlrabi to sweat out some water. Squeeze dry little by little using the palm of your hand.
- Place the kohlrabi in a mixing bowl and add the egg and basil. Stir until combined. Stir in flour and set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet on medium heat and add a tablespoon of oil and ½ tablespoon of butter.
- When the butter starts to brown, add a little dollop of pancake batter to test the seasoning.
- Lightly fry on both sides until golden brown. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Continue frying the pancakes making little mounds- about 1 inch in diameter or larger, depending on the size you like.
- Fry both sides a couple of minutes until golden brown and repeat, adding olive oil and butter to the pan each time.
- Serve warm with green harissa.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until very smooth and season well with salt.