Wilson Farm is hiring an experienced Pastry Chef/Bakery Production Manager to join and successfully manage their Production Bakery operation. This full-time, hands-on position requires an individual with the experience of planning and managing the production of scratch baking of exceptional quality product, cake and pastry artistry. It also includes understanding retail merchandising and the management of a team of 15 talented, long-time crew members to ensure all fulfillment to retail is met. Additionally, you will be providing hands-on, in-person customer service on the sales floor!
Key Job Responsibilities: Following a retail business cycle (particularly the holidays and special occasions with increased demand for baked goods) – the following is a sample of responsibilities that will reside with this position.
- Management of all bakery production staff: scheduling; time approval, training, performance expectations and allocation of tasks – monitor labor hours/costs
- Oversee all production of pastry goods, including but not limited to: cookies, brownies, breads, specialty pastries, doughnuts, pot pies, daily and custom cake orders/decorating, etc. New Product Development while maintaining existing profitable products – continual review
- Maintain neat and clean bakery with crew at end of each day to ensure all sanitation protocols are followed.
- Vendor relations – keeping a weekly/monthly inventory and placing orders for all bakery production supply needs; developing new relationships with vendors; continually monitor all food costs and ways to reduce costs without compromising quality of their baked products.
- Monitoring Product Rotations and ensuring freshness of product; know inventory status at all times.
- Merchandising/Replenish product as needed for displays; creating new displays – working with Retail Bakery Manager for best sales opportunities.
- Oversee that all the equipment in the Production Bakery is clean and in proper working condition, ensuring any issues are taken care of with the maintenance team.
Education: Graduation from accredited Culinary school, or equivalent work experience. Culinary Arts or Baking & Pastry Degree preferred, but will consider overall experience.
Experience: Minimum of 5+ years of progressive pastry experience; including 3+ years of Management experience as a Pastry Sous Chef or Pastry Chef required. Thorough knowledge of Pastry Arts and Techniques. Familiar with monitoring of food and labor costs. Familiar with ordering and inventory procedures and health and sanitation guidelines.
Skills: Strong organizational and analytical skills, along with demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment. Ability to exercise sound logic and judgment in evaluating situations and utilizing appropriate resources. Must be self-directed, motivated and demonstrate exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing. Some understanding of Spanish language is also helpful but not required. Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
Attributes : Have a positive attitude and enthusiastic personality (your experience already tells you that holidays can be a challenge!) Demonstrated ability to work cohesively with a crew and with other managers (regardless of department) as well as with immediate crew and senior management.
Certificates: Preferably ServSafe and Allergen Certified
- Physical Requirements: (goes without saying – this can be a physical job)
- Standing for prolonged periods of time; bending, reaching, lifting
- Frequent trips up and down stairs; in and out of coolers and freezers
- Must be able to grasp/move/lift/carry approx. 50+lbs. as needed
Their full time production manager schedule is avg. 50 hours/week, likely to be more during holidays and includes Sat/Sun hours as part of your 5-6 day work schedule
They offer truly competitive wages and benefits, which are commensurate with candidate’s applicable work experience and education in a friendly, customer-driven environment.
To apply: please respond with resume and cover letter at the email address below!
Applications/resumes may be submitted by email as attachments. Wilson Farm, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.