Vincent’s is hiring a Service Manager!
The Service Manager will work closely with the General Manager and all members of the restaurant’s management team to ensure the restaurant is operating according to the standards set by the General Manager, the ownership team, and Big Dipper corporate office. They will be responsible for overseeing service, training FOH staff and will share in administrative responsibilities. Vincent’s managers are integral and active members of service. Vincent’s managers are expected to be hands on from the beginning to end of the guest experience – with guests, the service team, and with Back of House team. They actively embody, inspire and teach skills that will elevate the values of Vincent’s and Big Dipper Hospitality Group.
Service Managers are regularly scheduled for a 5-day, 45-50 hour work week, but will occasionally be asked to work additional days to cover staffing shortages.
- Opening and closing managerial responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Financial/cash handling
- Operational administrative tasks
- Facilities/Health Department checks
- Oversee the FOH staff through all working hours – setting up for service, all service hours, and closing each shift according to restaurant standards
- Assist in executing new restaurant initiatives and service protocols through staff training
- Floor management responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Frequent decision making and troubleshooting
- Maintaining proper flow of service (at the door, on the floor, and at the pass)
- Upholding service standards, product quality and cleanliness
- Clear and continuous communication with kitchen and all FOH staff to ensure proper flow of service and guest satisfaction
- Guest interaction – ensuring service and food quality, cultivating relationships, resolving issues
- Assisting in the beverage program curation and training.
- Training and development of FOH hourly team including:
- Assisting in training of all FOH hourly staff based on standards determined by the General Manager and Director of FOH Operations
- Execution of FOH employee training program as determined by GM
- Continual development of FOH employees by upholding performance expectations, providing ongoing feedback, and offering input for regular performance reviews
- Directing staff and enforcing service standards
- Administering FOH hourly disciplinary action as needed, dictated by company protocols
- Ensuring FOH staff has appropriate food, beverage, and service knowledge
- Developing employees by providing ongoing feedback and upholding performance expectations
- Oversee daily reservations and providing support at the host stand throughout the shift
- Lead by example in all areas:
- Proper execution of all service standards and protocols
- Clear and professional communication with other managers, other departments, all hourly employees, and guests, avoiding negativity or profane language
- Exceptional work ethic, strong attention to detail, and a collaborative attitude
- Ensure all guests enjoy the experience!
- Update all printed and digital menus based on product selection and availability
- Work with the General Manager to set up a timeline and schedule for food and beverage education plans
- Maintain restaurant supplies, which include, but are not limited to office supplies and dry goods
- Assist in managing customer service responses and leading all guest recovery efforts including but not limited to online feedback, guest complaints, and immediate service recovery
- Additional managerial administrative responsibilities may be required as needed
- Prompt, accurate, and proactive scheduling of the Front of House team
Skills & Requirements:
The following qualifications are required:
- 1+ years of restaurant management experience strongly preferred
- Strong communication, project management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritize numerous tasks
- Detail oriented and always thinking at least one step ahead
- Clear communicator, courteous, and professional
- A team player with a do-what-it-takes attitude in a fast-paced, and dynamic environment with high expectations for quality of service
- Ability to train and supervise. Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Comprehensive food and beverage knowledge
- Exceptional service and floor skills preferred
- Self-motivated individuals who can think and adapt quickly. Must have the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and move with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to understand the activity in the department.
- Spanish speaking, strong computer skills are a plus
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 5 to 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Following Qualifications Are Preferred:
Commitment: One year commitment
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Tips or 21+ Training
- Crowd Manager
- Vacation: 10 days of paid vacation in the first year. After each year, employees are eligible to accrue an additional 3 days a year, per year of service, based on yearly employee performance review. Employee reviews will be held within 30 days of employee hire date each year. Vacation day accruals will cap at 20 days per year.
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Matched Simple IRA: A retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with us for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- Health Insurance: Big Dipper Hospitality Group offers a Harvard Pilgrim HMO health insurance policy to all full-time (30+ hr/wk) employees, paying half of monthly premium. After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on or before your 90th day of employment.
- Perks at Work: An exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email
- Discounts: Throughout the BDHG family of restaurants
- Parking: Discounted rates at the One Kendall Square Garage
- Discounted Gym Membership: Conveniently located on the One Kendall Square campus
- Performance Evaluations: The schedule for these conversations relate to the start date of the employee and fits with our yearly activities. All employees will have performance evaluations to provide a stepping-stone for the employee and supervisor to:
- Touch base about what’s going well and what needs improvement
- Clarify expectations and set goals
- Encourage career development
- Growth Opportunity: Available for motivated employees who take initiative and exhibit leadership qualities, as well as a willingness to grow and learn. As a growing company, we provide opportunities to those who want to seek a new challenge in a different role or location.
Vincent’s is a New American Bistro that works with New England growers and producers and prepares modern dishes with classic technique. At dinner we serve classically informed plates with local and carefully sourced ingredients. At brunch we serve a lively Texas-inspired brunch. The beverage program is wine-focused with a strong backbone of modern cocktail bar sensibilities and craft beer. Our style of service is warm, informed, and low-key.
Vincent’s Corner Grocery began as a pop-up at Café du Pays in May of 2020. Café du Pays opened in summer of 2017 to critical acclaim, serving hearty French-Canadian and French-inspired food and thoughtfully curated drinks menus. Our professional yet casual, informed and unimposing style of service contributed to our recognition as Best New Restaurant of 2017 in Boston Magazine and by the editors of Eater Boston. We grew as a restaurant retaining much of our original staff until our COVID-19 induced closure on March 15th of 2020. We reopened weeks later as Vincent’s, offering fresh vegetables, pantry staples, and prepared foods for our neighbors. Through 2020 and early 2021, we evolved from groceries and provisions, to more prepared food, and finally in May of 2021 opened as a full service restaurant.
Our staff is our highest priority, and we are committed to providing the best possible work environment and exemplary work practices for our employees. Daily, we work to nurture an inclusive workplace where all staff feel included, respected, and valued. We employ a leadership team of which more than 50 percent are women and people of color. We offer competitive wages as well as a meaningful benefits package, and we continue to make strides towards evolving our business practices to address some of the intrinsic injustices in the tipped model of the hospitality industry.
The Duties Of This Position May Change From Time To Time
Big Dipper Hospitality Group (BDHG) reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of BDHG or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
BDHG Is Proud To Be An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees in regard to actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $60,000.00 – $70,000.00 per year
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Paid training
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
Physical Setting: Casual dining restaurant
- Every weekend
- Night shift
- Weekend availability
Supplemental Pay: Bonus pay
COVID-19 considerations: We currently require proof of vaccination for indoor dining.
Ability to commute/relocate: Cambridge, MA 02141: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Preferred)
Education: High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Experience: Restaurant management: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location