The Bar Manager/Wine Director will work closely with the General Manager and all members of the restaurant’s management team to ensure the restaurant is operating according to the standards set by the General Manager, the ownership team, and Big Dipper corporate office. They will be responsible for overseeing service, training FOH staff, and will share in administrative responsibilities. All of Vincent’s managers are integral and active members of service. Vincent’s managers are expected to be hands on from the beginning to end of the guest experience – with guests, the service team, and with Back of House team. They actively embody, inspire and teach skills that will elevate the values of Vincent’s and Big Dipper Hospitality Group.
They’re looking for someone who can bring enthusiasm and expertise to the beverage program as well as their restaurant as whole!
Vincent’s is a New American restaurant whose tastes lean West. During the day they offer a café menu for takeout, delivery, and patio service including soups, salads, sandwiches, and small plates. At dinner they serve classically informed plates with local and carefully sourced ingredients. The beverage program is wine-focused with a strong backbone of modern cocktail bar sensibilities and craft beer. Their style of service is warm, informed, and low-key.
Vincent’s Corner Grocery began as a pop-up at Café du Pays in May of 2020. Café du Pays opened in summer of 2017 to critical acclaim, serving hearty French-Canadian and French-inspired food and thoughtfully curated drinks menus. Theur professional yet casual, informed and unimposing style of service contributed to their recognition as Best New Restaurant of 2017 in Boston Magazine and by the editors of Eater Boston. They grew as a restaurant retaining much of their original staff until our COVID-19 related closure on March 15th of 2020. They reopened weeks later as Vincent’s, offering fresh vegetables, pantry staples, and prepared foods for our neighbors. Those offerings have now evolved into a small but thoughtful bottle shop with natural wine, craft beer, and bottled cocktails in addition to a takeout and delivery-oriented kitchen operation serving casual and delicious lunch and brunch as well as a more refined dinner menu. In the coming months they will resume on site patio dining and the concept of Vincent’s will take over the space permanently.
Founded in 2008, in Cambridge, Mass., the Big Dipper Hospitality Group has created some of the area’s most beloved dining spots, such as State Park, Mamaleh’s, and Vincent’s. They are a family-run, independent, award-winning restaurant group, passionate about hospitality and integrity. They are committed to creating healthy work experiences and opportunities for advancement in the field. The ownership and management team work hard alongside staff daily.
- Vacation: 10 days of paid vacation in the first year. After each year, employees are eligible to accrue an additional 3 days a year, per year of service, based on yearly employee performance review. Employee reviews will be held within 30 days of employee hire date each year. Vacation day accruals will cap at 20 days per year.
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Matched Simple IRA: A retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with them for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- Health Insurance: Big Dipper Hospitality Group offers a Harvard Pilgrim HMO health insurance policy to all full-time (30+ hr/wk) employees, paying half of monthly premium. After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on or before your 90th day of employment.
- Perks at Work: An exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email
- Discounts: Throughout the BDHG family of restaurants
- Parking: Discounted rates at the One Kendall Square Garage
- Discounted Gym Membership: Conveniently located on the One Kendall Square campus
- Growth Opportunity: Available for motivated employees who take initiative and exhibit leadership qualities, as well as a willingness to grow and learn. As a growing company, they provide opportunities to those who want to seek a new challenge in a different role or location.
Skills & Requirements:
The following qualifications are required:
- 3+ years of beverage specific experience (retail, bar, or management)
- Strong communication, project management, and interpersonal skills
- Excellent time management and ability to prioritize numerous tasks
- Detail oriented and always thinking at least one step ahead
- Well spoken, courteous and professional
- A team player with a do-what-it-takes attitude in a fast-paced, and dynamic environment with high expectations for quality of service
- Ability to train and supervise. Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Comprehensive food and beverage knowledge
- Exceptional service and floor skills preferred
- Self-motivated individuals who can think and adapt quickly. Must have the ability to multi-task, prioritize, and move with a sense of urgency.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to understand the activity in the department.
- Spanish speaking, strong computer skills are a plus
The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 5 to 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The Following Qualifications Are Preferred:
Commitment: One year commitment
Education: Bachelors Degree or or equivalent combination of education and experience required
- Tips or 21+ Training
- Crowd Manager
Performance Review & Salary Negotiation Schedule:
The timing corresponds to the start date of the individual and fits with yearly activities. All employees of the Big Dipper Hospitality Group will have performance reviews to:
- Assess progress
- Clarify and prioritize expectations
- Lay out areas for improvement and set goals
- Encourage professional development and growth
Big Dipper Hospitality Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It is their policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees. They do not discriminate against applicants or employees in regard to actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $50,000.00 – $55,000.00 per year