The Urban Grape, one of the most successful independently-owned and operated wine stores in the country, is hiring full-time Wine Sales Associates that are responsible for in-store sales, dynamic client service, world-class hospitality, and so much more!
The Urban Grape’s Wine Sales Associates love to sell wine, beer, and spirits to knowledgeable and engaged customers! Urban Grape employees receive in-depth, on-the-job training about hospitality and wine and related products; get to meet winemakers from around the world; work with unique, high-quality products; and sell to customers at all levels of their personal wine journey. The store’s sales and national reach are growing rapidly, and they love to promote motivated and talented people from within and foster their careers at the company. Past Sales Associates have gone on to Manager level jobs at UG or to successful careers at wine industry powerhouses like Continuum, Monsieur Touton, and MS Walker. The Urban Grape is known for its successful mentorship for fledgling wine careers.
- They are looking for passionate hospitality-industry professionals who want to grow their knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits, and are excited to represent The Urban Grape’s products, services, and core values.
- Sales/wine industry experience is a must (1+ year in wine retail or restaurant/hospitality preferred).
- Customer service skill set: demonstrate “best-in-class” customer service for their client base. You will be asked to sign the UG Value Statement which states their desire to foster a team environment and a desire to make all customers feel welcome in their space.
- Self-starter: take initiative with regard to customers and sales, as well as daily store duties.
- They’re looking for someone who is self-motivated, hardworking, task-oriented, and enthusiastic!
- You must be comfortable carrying and moving cases of wine (40 pounds).
- Scheduling: holiday, evening, and weekend availability is necessary, but the store is typically closed by 9. Day, mid, and closing shifts available.
- Intermediate-level wine, beer and spirits knowledge preferred (formal education/certification preferred but not necessary, i.e. WSET, Elisabeth Bishop, Court of Sommeliers, etc). They believe in on-the-job training and can help you learn as long as you have a good base.
- Able to efficiently handle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable using a computer and typing emails to customers and coworkers.
- Previous Point of Sale experience is helpful.
- Social media savvy is always great, but not required.
- Sales and customer service: this involves online/phone order fulfillment, and charismatic sales floor service.
- Upbeat, positive phone persona and accurate message delivery.
- Maintain store appearance: included stocking and merchandising displays, as well as other daily duties.
- Be confident making wine, beer, and spirits recommendations based on customers’ interests and preferences. They will teach you what you don’t know!
- Provide a warm and energetic customer experience when engaging with customers (whether in-person, by phone, or face-to-face).
- This is a fast-paced culture of assisting guests who range from having zero wine knowledge, to those with very specific interests and needs, and helping them build their orders.
The Urban Grape offers a competitive living wage base salary and a 2% commission on net sales. There is no maximum on the sales commission – the more motivated you are to sell, the more you will make!
They also offer world-class PPO health care, a 401k, educational benefits, two weeks paid vacation, flexible shifts, and an employee discount on all products. The Urban Grape was named The Best Wine Store in Boston in 2021, 2020 and 2019, a Top 100 Wine Retailers in America in 2019, 2020 and 2021, and a Wine Enthusiast Wine Star nominee for best Retail Store in the country in 2020 and 2021. They were also named the 2020 Small Business of the Year by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, and Founders TJ and Hadley Douglas won the Entrepreneur of the Year Award from Ernst & Young in 2021.
The Urban Grape is a Black-owned and woman-owned company. They believe in equal access to careers in the wine industry. A career in wine is waiting for you!
Apply via the email address provided below.