The Sous Chef at Union Club of Boston must apply leadership and organizational skills in assisting with banquet events as well as the a la carte dining operation. He/she will work directly with the Executive Chef and the Chef de Cuisine to develop menu items, daily specials and help train other staff in our operation The sous chef must be a leader in executing daily operations in a timely manner while working safely and following all safety and sanitation guidelines.
Hours: May vary depending on business volumes
The normal hours are Monday 10-3, Tuesday-Friday 10-9. Most weekends off, no Monday’s dinner service and Monday holidays off.
Primary Responsibilities included by not limited to
- Able to cook and expedite from all stations as necessary.
- Follows correct methods of cooking, techniques and guidelines set forth by the Exec. Chef
- Responsible for obtaining the knowledge of banquet plate presentation and cooking techniques.
- Assists the Chef and/or Sous Chef with the organization of Banquet Functions, executed by A la Carte line.
- Checks the freshness and quality of all food items prior to service periods, on all stations.
- Ensures all cleaning schedules are carried out per Chef and Sous Chefs requests.
- Communicates all maintenance requests to the Chef and/or General manager.
- Inspects that all recipes are followed and that all recipes prepared are consistent in taste.
- Creates a positive work environment for line cooks through respect and support.
- Assists in the training of new employees
- Oversees the production of staff meals
- Check banquet and function sheets for a la carte functions.
- Check quality and freshness of food production line before service on all stations.
- Assist in creating specials
- Monitor the preparation and par level of food products.
- Cross training on all aspects of food production is essential to this position
- Strong work ethic and commitment to high standards of quality
- Minimum 3 years cooking experience required
- Previous private club experience a plus
- Formal training from an accredited culinary institute or ACF certified apprenticeship
- Experience in recipe development.
Specialized Knowledge/Licenses Required:
- Should be proficient in basic knife skills, meat, vegetable, and sauce fabrication.
- Knowledge to operate common kitchen equipment
- Must contain healthy knowledge of food products, classical and modern preparations.
- Serve Safe Certified preferred.
- Employee is required to have work shoes with non-slip sole.
- Must be able to stand for 8-10 hours.
- Must be able to tolerate hot conditions on service line.
- Must be able to kneel, bend over and stand up frequently during a shift.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs.
- Must be able to work at a rapid pace and, on occasion, needs to be able to lift heavy pots/pans.
Apply via the email address provided below.