A craft cocktail and Asian cuisine tapas bar in downtown Boston’s financial district serving tiki inspired cocktails as well as Asian cuisine with a good selection of raw seafood, they are currently looking to fill the position of Sous Chef. As the sous chef you assist the chef in management of the kitchen as well as day to day kitchen operations while bringing a creative culinary mind to the kitchen with ideas to present to the chef with weekend specials. You also bring the dishes that the chef creates to life. The chef relies on you to “get it right” and you take pride in making it happen. The bustle and sometimes intensity of the kitchen energizes you. You understand the importance of staying within budget and know exactly how much to prep. You also understand that cleanliness in the kitchen and safe food handling is key.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
Management of food production and service of all areas of the culinary department, maintaining Tiki Rocks standards through organization, delegation and supervision of culinary team as well as “hands on” production
- Organize and supervise production and service needs in assigned areas of culinary services
- Train, delegate and supervise culinary staff to reach quality standard and time goals through motivation and coaching.
- Communicate to all food and beverage management on operational issues through verbal and non- verbal means directly to the Chef or GM
- Ensure quality preparation and presentation of menu items, as well as general sanitation, in accordance with established Tiki Rock standards, recipes and procedures.
- Oversee production of prep for Tiki Rock kitchen,
- Assist in making sure Oisa Ramen is preped and offer any assistance in prep or service.
- Creative input on menu development and banqueting and outlet services
- Maintain professional climate during function services between culinary, wait staff and other managers
- Prepare and present all menu items to perspective guest and be able to answer any questions that they might have.
- Ensure that all equipment is in good repair, is clean, and is operating to specifications.
- Assist the executive chef and Ramen Chef in ensuring all food costs, operating expenses and labor costs relative to the kitchen are met.
- Maintain safety and sanitation standards throughout department
- Serve wholesome food through implementation of HACCP standards. Understand and ensure allergen procedures and codes are followed.
EDUCATION/ EXPERIENCE/GENERAL REQUIREMENTS/REQUIRED PHYSICAL, MENTAL ABILITIES
- Poses a 2 year culinary degree and/ or minimum 2-3 years sous chef experience.
- Must be able to communicate effectively, (written and verbal) and listen attentively to, employees, other managers and customers.
- Make logical, intellectual, creative and critical decisions
- Maintain a confident and calm presence
- Be self motivated, organized and discipline in work performance
- Is a role model for all cooking positions and cooking skill sets adhering to professional chef standards and Tiki Rock specifications.
- Maintains high employee morale, creating a fun and safe environment while ensuring that all employees execute at high performance levels.
- Use nonverbal auditory and visual sources of information e.g. alarms
- Ability to stand, sit, grasp, lift and carry up to 50 pounds, walk, kneel, squat, bend, push and pull
- Can include additional duties not listed above.
If interested, please send resume along with a cover letter to the email address below!