Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center (TIOBEC) is an independent Massachusetts not-for-profit organization. We serve over 6,500 early adolescents annually from all economic and social communities of greater metropolitan Boston, and the institutions and adults who support them.
Line Cooks are responsible for preparing, serving and extensive clean-up for all food and food prep areas to clients and staff in the dining hall and at our event sites for corporate gatherings and weddings. Line Cooks must work efficiently and quickly to ensure that clients get their food in a timely and professional manner. Attention to detail is extremely important in this role, as this position is fast-paced and dynamic. Attention to personal hygiene and cleanliness of the workspace in line with Massachusetts food safety standards is also very important.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Take direction from Sous Chef or Executive Chef.
- Support all cooks in preparing ingredients in line with the meal requested.
- Clean, chop and organize ingredients necessary for each recipe and prior to preparing meals.
- Organize and clean cooking utensils and supplies prior to and after preparing meals.
- Assist in making sure meals come out in a timely fashion and that the food line is replenished to meet the number of guests present.
- Maintain clean food line with professional presentation of food for the duration of each meal.
- Clean food line and dining area following the meal, storing leftover food in line with TIOBEC food storage systems and Massachusetts Board of Health regulations.
- Assist in transporting food orders from the dock to the kitchen.
- Stock food storage areas.
- Communicate professionally with guests and staff, answering questions and facilitating a pleasant dining experience.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Worked in food service and hospitality field for at least 6 months.
- Willing to practice, clarify, and hold themselves and others accountable to food safety and cleanliness procedures.
- Ability to follow directions.
- Able to maintain professional communication staff.
- Perform additional responsibilities as requested.
- Serve Safe Certification preferred.
- Willingness to take a 25-minute boat ride to and from Thompson Island as part of the daily commute.
- Willingness to work in hot and/or cold temperatures outside per the season.
- Ability to work non-traditional hours including early mornings, late nights, and weekend work.
- Willingness to stay over on Thompson Island when required.
- This position requires a criminal background check.
Must be able to remain on feet and/or stay active for 8 hours per day.
All positions reporting hours to the island, are asked to assist loading/unloading cargo from the boat as able. This involves lifting and walking with parcels upwards of 50lbs on and off moving docks and up/down ramps.
Must be vaccinated against COVID-19 up to CDC guidelines
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Competitive hourly pay commensurate with experience. Earned Sick Time. 401K retirement plan with competitive match once pre-requisites are met. Worker’s Compensation Insurance. Optional supplemental insurance offerings. Accident Insurance. Access to professional discount programs for gear and clothing. Temporary housing is provided on Thompson Island for positions that necessitate.
Thompson Island Outward Bound Education Center is an equal opportunity employer and actively seeks staff as diverse as the communities it serves. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.