The Urban Grape, an award-winning retail store and events business committed to creating access to the beverage industry, is hiring full time retail associates that are responsible for inbound and outbound sales, dynamic client service, world-class hospitality, and so much more! Our employees have a passion for selling wine, beer, and spirits to knowledgeable and engaged customers. The Urban Grape is a Black-owned, woman-owned certified MBE company. We believe in equal access to careers in the wine industry. A career in wine is waiting for you!
Our retail employees are hired at a tiered level with achievable goals and sales points to progress within the company. With the help of the management team, employees will have daily guidance, regular reviews and a goal setting plan to ensure growth at each level.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following for each level; other duties may be assigned.
- The ability to work as stewards for The Urban Grape’s goals of creating community through beverage, particularly as it relates to our proprietary Progressive Scale system.
- Provide a warm and energetic customer experience when engaging with customers (whether in-person, by phone, by email or face-to-face).
- Comfort in a fast-paced culture of assisting guests, ranging from those with novice-level wine knowledge to those with very specific interests and needs, and helping them build their orders.
- Upbeat, positive phone persona and accurate message delivery.
- Previous Point of Sale experience is helpful.
Level 1: Wine Associate
Candidates have entry level wine knowledge or education and are interested in career growth; hospitality experience is a plus.
- Confident with sales techniques that include making wine, beer, and spirits recommendations based on customers’ interests and preferences.
- Master the Progressive Scale to confidently recommend wines based on body, as opposed to varietal and region.
- Complete daily outreach to customers with whom they have actively worked in the retail setting.
- Maintain store appearance, including stocking and merchandising displays, as well as other daily duties.
- Participate in regular product tastings to increase knowledge of curated store selection.
- Work as support staff for hosts of in-store and off-site events for corporate and other private clients, as needed. Additional gratuity applied to your paystub per each event.
Level 2: Wine Specialist
Experienced hospitality professional in a wine focused role for at least 1 year; Professional certification is a plus.
- Perform the same duties as a Wine Associate with enhanced responsibilities including:
- Enhanced confidence with sales techniques that include initiating outbound sales using text, email, social media, and/or newsletters.
- Work as lead host for in-store and off-site events for corporate and other private clients, as needed. Additional gratuity applied to your paystub per each event.
- Complete daily tasks including but not limited to: managing deliveries and pulling orders for completion.
Level 3: Wine Concierge
Beverage Sales Experience for 2 to 4 years preferred; management or team lead experience is a plus.
- Perform the same duties as a Wine Specialist with enhanced responsibilities including:
- Actively broaden the list of clients with targeted offers using both presale offers and store selection.
- Hosts Cellar Consultations with assistance of the Director of Sales.
- Attend tastings with distributors, national sales reps, and makers to offer suggestions for which products to bring into the store, as well as learn via tasting and talking about products.
- Participate in VIP client events.
- Act as shift manager when needed, working with the management team to have direct oversight of staff and plan of action to achieve daily sales goals.
- Assist the General Manager with inventory, including but not limited to: checking in deliveries, receiving products into inventory software and performing spot checks on a weekly basis.
- Passionate hospitality industry professionals who want to grow their knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits, and are excited to represent The Urban Grape’s products, services, and core values.
- Sales/wine industry experience is a must; varied as listed above for each tier.
- Customer service skill set: demonstrate “best-in-class” customer service for our client base. You will be asked to sign the UG Value Statement which states our desire to foster a team environment and a desire to make all customers feel welcome in our space.
- Self-starter: take initiative with regard to customers and sales, as well as daily store duties. Confidence with outbound sales is a priority, although our team is here to help you learn best practices.
- Self-motivated, hardworking, task-oriented, and enthusiastic employees.
- Comfortable carrying and moving cases of wine (40 pounds).
- Scheduling: some holiday, evening, and weekend availability is necessary, but the store is typically closed by 9. Day, mid, and closing shifts available.
- Able to efficiently handle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable using a computer and typing emails to customers and coworkers.
The Urban Grape offers a competitive living wage base salary.
We also offer world-class PPO health care, a 401k, educational benefits, two weeks paid vacation, flexible shifts, and an employee discount on all products. The Urban Grape was named The Best Wine Store in Boston in 2021, 2020 and 2019, a Top 100 Wine Retailers in America in 2019, 2020 and 2021, and a Wine Enthusiast Wine Star nominee for best Retail Store in the country in 2020 and 2021. We were also named the 2020 Small Business of the Year by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, and our Founders TJ and Hadley Douglas won the Entrepreneur of the Year Award from Ernst & Young in 2021.