The Urban Grape is looking for dynamic full and part-time Fine Wine Specialist who love to sell wine, beer, and spirits! Urban Grape employees receive in-depth on-the-job training about hospitality and wine and related products; get to meet winemakers from around the world; work with unique, high-quality products; and sell to fabulous and knowledgeable customers! The store’s sales and national reach are growing rapidly, and they love to promote motivated and talented people from within and foster their careers at the company. Past Fine Wine Specialists have gone on to Manager level jobs at UG or to successful careers at wine industry powerhouses like Continuum, Monsieur Touton, and MS Walker.
- They are looking for passionate hospitality industry professionals who wants to grow their knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits, and are excited to represent The Urban Grape’s products, services, and core values.
- Sales/wine industry experience is a must (1+ year in wine retail or restaurant/hospitality preferred).
- Customer service skill set: demonstrate “best-in-class” customer service for their client base.
- Self-starter: take initiative with regard to customers and sales, as well as daily store duties.
- They’re looking for someone who is self-motivated, hardworking, task-oriented, and enthusiastic!
- You must be comfortable carrying and moving cases of wine (40 pounds).
- Scheduling: holiday, evening, and weekend availability is necessary, but the store is typically closed by 9. Day, mid, and closing shifts available.
- Intermediate-level wine, beer and spirits knowledge preferred (formal education/certification preferred but not necessary, i.e. WSET, Elisabeth Bishop, Court of Sommeliers, etc).
- Able to efficiently handle multiple priorities and tasks in a fast-paced environment.
- Must be comfortable using a computer and typing emails to customers and coworkers.
- Previous Point of Sale experience is helpful.
- Social media savvy is always great, but not required.
- Sales and customer service: this involves online/phone order fulfillment, and charismatic sales floor service.
- Upbeat, positive phone persona and accurate message delivery.
- Maintain store appearance: included stocking and merchandising displays, as well as other daily duties.
- Be confident making wine, beer, and spirits recommendations based on customers’ interests and preferences. They will teach you what you don’t know!
- Provide a warm and energetic customer experience when engaging with customers (whether in-person, by phone, or face-to-face).
- This is a fast-paced culture of assisting guests who range from having zero wine knowledge, to those with very specific interests and needs, and helping them build their orders.
The Urban Grape offers a competitive living wage base salary and a 2% commission on net sales. There is no maximum on the sales commission – the more motivated you are to sell, the more you will make!
They also offer world-class PPO health care, a 401k, educational benefits, two weeks paid vacation, flexible shifts, and an employee discount on all products. The Urban Grape was named The Best Wine Store in Boston in 2020, a Top 100 Wine Retailers in America in 2019 and 2020, and the Best Wine Store in the Northeast in 2018. They were also named the 2020 Small Business of the Year by the Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce.
The Urban Grape is a Black-owned and woman-owned company. They believe in equal access to careers in the wine industry. A career in wine is waiting for you!