The Novel Kitchen by curds & co. opened in Brookline, MA in October, 2020 through a partnership with Curds & Co., a specialty cheese shop in Brookline Village, and the Brookline Booksmith. The Novel Kitchen by curds & co. is an innovative eatery, conceived and built for the “new normal” where they long for unique experiences and togetherness. Each of the featured plates and snacks are creatively developed and seasonally curated. The simple pleasure of holding an unconventional wine glass while nibbling through a bento box of specialty foods is their definition of edible self care. They thoughtfully selected their eco-friendly boxes to be perfect for both eat-in and takeout. No matter which you choose, you will be celebrating amazing artisanal food. You enjoy it simply, for what it is, what it tastes like, and who you are lucky enough to share it with. They’ve curated a small-but-mighty retail market of select provisions and housewares to showcase artisans or to spark the artisan in you. They are a perfect gift for you or someone special in your life.
They are looking to hire an experienced part-time Shift Lead for The Novel Kitchen by curds & co. Founded through a partnership with the Brookline Booksmith, The Novel Kitchen is an innovative eatery built for the “new normal”, featuring artisanal seasonal plates and snacks for sit-in or to-go dining, along with a small retail component including specialty food and housewares.
The Shift Lead will provide support to the full-time manager in all aspects of the business, which includes but is not limited to scheduling, social media, ordering, and training. They expect the Shift Lead to have a passion for fine food, deep knowledge of all the menu items and retail products, a strong attention to detail, the ability to lead a team to success, and knowledge of food handling procedures. The Shift Lead must have strong customer service skills, and the ability to recognize and delegate tasks to the rest of the staff to ensure efficient and successful day to day operations. This position would be well-suited to those from the restaurant/culinary world who are looking to have a schedule that is centered in daytime hours.
The Shift Lead will be responsible for…
- Opening and closing the restaurant
- Running (and troubleshooting) the POS, handling money, counting the drawer and doing bank runs
- Working under the manager and delegating to staff
- Dealing with any issues with customers or staff in a calm, professional manner
- Managing inventory and alerting the supervisor when items are low or missing
- Knowing all about the menu items and products for sale
- Taking action as person-in-charge if the manager is absent
The ideal candidate will….
- Have demonstrated stellar management and leadership skills, with the ability to motivate and lead a team.
- Have a passion for customer service
- Be organized and have a sharp eye for detail
- Have strong communication skills
- Be excited about recipe development and leading a talented team to success
- Keep calm under pressure and maintain professionalism
- Be open to feedback from customers and staff
- Thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative environment
- Be energized by problem-solving and dealing with unexpected situations
- Have Serv Safe Certified Manager/food storage and handling expertise
- Have earned at least a High School diploma, with a Bachelors Degree preferred
- Have had previous restaurant/food service experience
- Be knowledgeable and experienced in the dining and hospitality industry.
They know that everyone brings their own unique skills which can add to the team. If you have many of these qualifications, but not all of them—they encourage you to still apply! Let them help you discover if this job is right for you.
Curds & Co is a small but diverse team of driven, dedicated individuals committed to their mission of bringing cheese and happiness to the people. They value open communication, honesty, integrity and bringing your whole self to work.
this position is : hourly, $15-20/hr