Recently refurbished and gearing up for its re-opening, The Langham Hotel Boston is looking for an Executive Sous Chef.
PURPOSE AND OBJECTIVES OF POSITION
The Executive Sous Chef is directly responsible for the daily supervision, management and direction of the Banquet Kitchen including the Club Lounge as well as supervising the management team of the Outlet Kitchens. The position requires practical creativity to provide a wide variety of innovative cuisine while maintaining profit goals. A thorough knowledge of food handling and preparation techniques is essential. The Executive Sous Chef is required to have a hands-on approach to training all culinary team members, in the importance of consistency in both production and presentation. Direct responsibilities include daily supervision of the food production schedule, staffing, and assist in hiring of all culinary personnel. Managing and maintaining the Oasis (staff cafeteria) menu and labor as well as the Club Lounge menu and labor in accordance to budget. Management of the variable kitchen operating costs including food and labor, culinary event staffing and inventory management, product ordering, sanitation and safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• To oversee all aspects of food preparation, according to approved standardized recipes.
• Organize, oversee, and participate in the plating of food for service, according to established plating and presentation criteria.
• Ensure the food is of the highest quality and ready to be served to the guest at the appropriate time following hotel standards.
• Assist in controlling costs by effective purchasing of food and maintaining food cost goals as well as monitoring labor levels.
• Manage, train, delegate, and supervise all kitchen staff in absence of Executive Chef including training, counseling, disciplining, etc.
• Work alongside Banquet Management and conduct a walk-through prior to each event to ensure room is set up to standard and ready to use for event.
• Oversee the employee cafeteria (Oasis) to ensure proper cooking methods and quality of product while adhering to food safety criteria.
• Oversee menu development an execution for the Club Lounge while working closely with Executive Chef.
• Meet the guest needs by developing and maintaining effective relationships in both internal and external customers.
• Have the knowledge of local health rules, regulations, and food handling.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
Experience with menu development, costing, and BEO distribution. Advanced knowledge of culinary technique and application. Personable and able to convey messages clearly and concisely. Ability to adapt to changing demands as related to a banquet kitchen.
Food Safety: Abides by local and national food safety requirements and ensures that others do so by monitoring FIFO inventory and visually inspecting food preparation, delivery activities, and overall cleanliness of the operation.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Degree in Culinary Arts preferred, 3 to 5 years’ experience in a 4-5 star hotel or independent restaurant in a kitchen management role. Minimum 2 years of Banquet Kitchen experience.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS
To apply, send your resume to the email address provided below.