The Catered Affair is looking for a talented sous chef to join our team and support the restaurant operations at the Boston Athenaeum. The new restaurant opening in June 2023 will be a restaurant for culinary experiences whose menu will represent European-inspired food along with a unique beverage menu in an exquisite and historical location of Beacon Hill. The right candidate will be available from Tuesday to Saturday.
To work as a team to exceed the expectations of our clients and their guests, while creating an atmosphere of personal and professional satisfaction for our employees.
The Sous Chef assists in coordinating and supervising kitchen staff and is directed toward executing company standards for quality and customer service in a consistent manner.
- Ensures production of food items that create dining experiences to remember for all clients
- Through consistent supervision and attention to detail, ensures the menu items are exceptional in taste and presentation as designed and documented
- Ensure all food tastings for clients represent the documented expectations as presented by the Sales staff
- Ensure the kitchen staff is kept up to date on the most current and cutting-edge food products and materials.
- Food Operations
- Ensure production methods are clearly executed for signature TCA dishes and for other items that are routinely produced
- Ensure all food product is accurately inventoried and available when needed for production
- Ensure all food sanitation codes are adhered to and monitored on a daily basis.
- Maintain a high level of professional behavior within the kitchen and encourage the continual development of culinary staff
- Food Management
- As directed, responsible for ordering food products from vendors
- Ensures an accurate estimate of on-hand food products, both dry and perishable.
- Maintains First In/First Out methods to ensure the highest quality of product at all times
- Ensure all perishable food products are wrapped and properly stored.. Dispose of any products which will expire before the next day of operation.
- Ensure all work table surfaces – including all sinks are clean and sanitized.
- Ensure all equipment – including slice, tilt kettle, kitchen aid, blender & robot coupe are clean & sanitized
- Ensure all dirty equipment is washed – including cutting boards, knives, and sanitizer buckets.
- Ensure the prep list is prepared and organized and pull frozen food items to be thawed in the refrigerator overnight.
- Management and Communication
- Effectively manages the assigned flow of work in the kitchen based on the volume of business.
- Communicate both verbally and in legible writing, directions and information to all culinary staff
- On a daily basis offer feedback and coaching to culinary staff to ensure continual professional development.
- Cultivate respectful and positive relationships with sales staff and event managers
- Supervise all culinary staff and ensure they receive appropriate and timely performance reviews of their progress
- Effectively manages time and culinary resources to ensure high levels of productivity.
- Communicate regularly with the Executive Sous Chef to ensure seamless execution of all activities.
- Positive behavior imparts a sense of the company’s mission and its long-standing commitment to quality.
- Provide ongoing feedback to kitchen personnel related to their performance
- Leading by example, maintaining a calm demeanor and clear head at all times.
- Exhibit appropriate attire and excellent grooming at all times and monitor staff for same.
- As necessary and requested, complete any duties needed to achieve The Catered Affair’s mission.
- EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience working in a high-end property
- Training from a respected culinary institution
- Experience managing culinary staff is desired
- JOB KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS REQUIRED
- High awareness of food products and quality
- High degree of uncompromised customer service orientation
- A strong sense of urgency to ensure tasks are completed on time
- Excellent interpersonal, problem-solving and time management skills.
- PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Medium work where up to 50lbs of force is exerted occasionally and up to 20lbs of force frequently
- Activities include; stooping, kneeling, crouching, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and repetitive motion.
- Visual acuity required
- WORKING ENVIRONMENT
- The working conditions described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
To apply, please send your resume to the email provided below.