The Blue Ox Restaurant & Bar located just a few miles north of Boston in Lynn, MA is seeking an Executive Chef.
Summary of What They Are Looking For:
They are looking for a highly experienced and creative executive chef to join their fast paced kitchen team. You must have proven success in the kitchen as a confident, effective, and efficient leader who is able to motivate and work collaboratively with kitchen staff. You will be responsible for meeting food and labor cost targets for the kitchen. You will create new menu items, manage and direct all kitchen staff, maintain quality control, and manage inventory and purchasing.
- Coordinate and direct all food preparation, from prep through service
- Monitor the quality of all food
- Maintain inventory stock including foods and kitchen supplies
- Delegate daily tasks to sous chef and other kitchen staff; manage their progress throughout the day
- Oversee entire kitchen staff activity and ensure efficient work
- Oversee repairs of kitchen appliances
- Direct and design and plating/presentation techniques for all dishes
- Create new recipes and design overall menu, including specials each day/week
- Help determine pricing for menu items
- Hire and train new kitchen staff
- Work efficiently to resolve any problems that arise in the kitchen
- Research and implement new culinary trends that fit concept
- Maintain a clean kitchen and abide by all state food safety and sanitation laws
Executive Chef Requirements and Qualifications:
- 2-year Culinary Arts degree and/or other culinary certification is preferred but not required
- 5+ years experience in a head chef or managerial kitchen position
- ServSafe certification
- Vast knowledge in culinary arts, including any new up and coming food trends
- Effective and clear communicator
- Expert skills and experience planning, designing, and preparing meals
- Excellent time management and organizational skills
- Proven leadership and creative abilities inside the kitchen
- Expert problem solver who thrives under pressure
- Top of the line customer services skills
- Basic computer knowledge and skills, Microsoft word and excel
Who They Are:
The Blue Ox is award-winning restaurant featured in all the biggest media outlets, and as a result they are consistently busy. Their upscale casual American menu with is prepared from scratch from the highest quality products. They work with the best purveyors in Boston, as well as small local farms and other local companies. They have very little turnover in both the FOH and BOH and their customers are awesome.
What You Need to Know:
Take the train? They are located steps from the commuter rail line.
Drive? They have ample free parking on the street and in their private lot.
Generally five days a week. Kitchen closes at 10/10:30pm. Some private events required.
Salary is based upon experience- $80,000 – $90,000 range
Health insurance stipend
Paid vacation/ sick time
Please submit your resume to owner, Matt O’Neil, at the email address provided with Executive Chef in the subject line. They look forward to hearing from you!