The Bakery General Manager contributes to and supports Tatte Bakery & Cafe‘s efforts to inspire, care for, and nurture life, every day, by owning overall responsibility for bakery production and logistical operations consistent with Tatte’s mission, values, and brand essence. Reporting to the VP of Bakery Operations, the Bakery General Manager is responsible for production planning/management, productivity & efficiency, food safety, team member safety, staffing, engagement and development, inventory management, quality management, logistics, customer service and compliance with all Tatte policies as well as government regulations. The Bakery General Manager also exemplifies each of their core values—uncompromising quality and craftsmanship; always learn, grow, be curious & creative—have fun, empathy, and integrity—and incorporates them into everything the bakery team does.
Summary of Responsibilities
Strategic Business Leader
- Maintain and protect the integrity of the Bakery Pilar in Tatte’s brand essence.
- Support the VP of Bakery Operations and Manager of Bakery Innovation and Commercialization in the overall Bakery business strategy and related KI’s / KI Projects.
- Overall responsibility for the Bakery P&L while protecting Tatte’s bakery vision, authority and integrity, maintain control of budgeted vs. actual expenses; take timely action when variances occur.
- Monitor Bakery capabilities and capacity to ensure the Bakery can meet future market needs while supporting profitable growth.
Protect and Support Tatte’s Bakery Vision, Authority, and Integrity
- In conjunction with the Market Executive Pastry Chef, investigate and resolve complaints on quality, product execution and shelf-life issues or questions.
- Support the VP of Bakery Operations in implementing and upholding Tatte’s Total Quality Management (TQM) systems related to the production and delivery of all bakery items/menu across all channels of business to consistently meet or exceeds Tatte’s quality standards (i.e., using six sigma/ TQM methodology). Validate via TQM scorecard results and frequent observations.
Deliver Operational Excellence
- Ensure all bakery operations departments are properly staffed and trained to ensure uninterrupted supply of all bakery products.
- Ensure effective and efficient scheduling is occurring for bakery operations departments and that schedules are posted according to Tatte standards.
- Ensure accurate and timely inventories occur. Ensure effective and efficient inventory management of raw materials needed for each bakery department.
- Effectively and efficiently purchase, receive and management the inventory of raw materials and other items necessary to run the Bakery.
- Ensure effective and efficient logistics to and from thecafés. Ensure all vehicles are maintained properly and operate in compliances with state and federal laws.
- Ensure Bakery remains in good repair, is properly maintained and has needed equipment and smallwares.
- Ensure team members follow safety, sanitation and cleanliness policies/standards (Tatte, State and Federal). Ensure compliance with all government regulations.
- Support the VP of Bakery Operations and the Manager of Bakery Innovation in developing and implementing processes to eliminate waste or lower structural costs (product, labor, variable and fixed controllable expenses) without hurting product quality or labor productivity (i.e., lean manufacturing and sourcing smarts).
- Conduct timely management and hourly meetings to ensure effective and accurate communication of all relevant product, operational, and personnel information.
- Maintain understanding of and ensure team follows crisis management procedures.
Live Tatte’s values and make Tatte an employer of choice
- Live, teach and uphold Tatte’s culture, values, DIEB plan, and team member policies.
- Ensure bakery team members are onboarded and trained correctly, cross-trained (as appropriate), and understand opportunities for advancement.
- Provide ongoing education and training opportunities for Bakery team members (hourly and chefs/management).
- Conducts regular “heart checks” with all team members.
- Maintain effective relationships with all bakery managers and team members and team members outside of the Bakery organization.
- Provide direct and clear feedback (positive, developmental, disciplinary) to direct reports (including, without limitation, the Executive Pastry Chef, Executive Sous Pastry Chef, and Logistics Manager) relating to performance. Document when appropriate.
- Ensure all performance appraisals and talent assessments are completed on a timely basis.
- Address, as needed, employee relation issues, and consult HR as needed.
Other duties, as assigned
Working Conditions / Essential Functions
- Must be able to stand for 10 hours per shift/day
- Must be able to lift 50lb regularly
- Must be able to communicate verbally and in writing in English
- Must be available to work shifts during the week, weekend, and holidays, as needed
- Must be available to work days, nights and overnight shifts, as needed
- Valid driver’s license and acceptable driving record
- 3-5 years of experience leading a food manufacturing plant
- 2 years of culinary experience (preferably in pastry or baking)
- Deep understanding and effective management of regulatory standards (e.g., OSHA, FDA inspections, Health Dept., EPA, City and County Inspectors)
- Familiar with Good Manufacturing Practices
- Experience with implementing and maintaining quality systems and programs
- Experience building and mentoring high performance teams
Other Preferred Skills
- Fluency in Spanish is highly preferred.
Apply online via the email address or link provided below.