State Park is looking for an enthusiastic and experienced sous chef to work their dinner service. The ideal candidate will have 3-4 years restaurant experience on the line. They need a good communicator who works well with others and has a sense of urgency. They offer competitive pay, opportunity for growth and promotion from within. They prefer to work with people who are restaurant-focused and dream of having one of their own one day. Qualified candidates should have a broad culinary interest and a vivid imagination to match their offbeat culinary style.
This position will sometimes be responsible for working a station as a member of a team. You will do prep, set up and break down a station, work service, and help clean kitchen at the end of service. What they do: sausage making, fish and meat curing, bread baking, meat smoking, pickling, butchering, pasta making, preserving and fermentation.
About Big Dipper Hospitality:
Founded in 2008, in Cambridge, Mass., the Big Dipper Hospitality Group has created some of the area’s most beloved dining spots, such as State Park, Mamaleh’s, and Café Du Pays. They are a family-run, independent, award-winning restaurant group, passionate about hospitality and integrity. They are committed to creating healthy work experiences and opportunities for advancement in the field. The ownership and management team work hard alongside their staff daily and have enacted a food revenue sharing program among their kitchen team.
Available for motivated employees who take initiative and exhibit leadership qualities, as well as a willingness to grow and learn. As this is a growing company, there are many varied opportunities for promotion, including but not limited to: management training, special events, crossover between businesses and departments, team building, pastry and baking.
Benefits available to employees include:
- Competitive pay, benefits offered on salaried positions.
- Kitchen Revenue Sharing Program wherein 5% of food sales is distributed among the back of house each pay period.
- A matched simple IRA retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with them for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- State Park offers a co-pay health insurance policy to all full-time employees, After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on your 90th day of employment.
- A 50% discount at all their restaurants the moment you start!
- Discount parking (and coming soon, transit passes)
- Discounts toward gym memberships
- Perks at Work is an exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email.
- Community volunteer opportunities available
Skills and Requirements:
- Be a source of positivity for the BOH staff with a “yes we can” attitude
- Sense of urgency and comfort in a fast-paced environment; Ability to stay positive and calm under pressure
- Confidence in effectively communicating any inconsistencies to the Chef and management team; Working collaboratively with BOH staff and FOH staff
- Strong communication skills to convey needs and complete the transaction in a professional manner
- Able to take constructive criticism, learn quickly and constantly improve
- Maintaining cleanliness of any BOH work areas, including and not limited to refrigeration, cooking equipment, and prep areas
- Participate in deep cleaning of BOH work areas, including and not limited to refrigeration, cooking equipment, and prep areas
- Troubleshoot general daily issues with orders, equipment, and staffing
- Create, build, and maintainstrong strong relationships with purveyors, supporting local companies and farms whenever possible
- Ability to manage and oversee kitchen projects
- Ability to maintain mental athleticism and coordination of tickets and sending out plates
- Ability to maintain and ensure proper plate presentation and cleanliness before leaving the kitchen
- A high level of product and ingredient knowledge specific to State Park
- Ability to cost menu items
- Participating in the preparation and development of new menu items; Working with seasonal ingredients
- Honing your existing skills while learning new techniques and building your skill set
- Solid cooking techniques, strong knife skills, food safety and sanitation knowledge
- Competency at working all stations and set a standard for how the line cooks work each station
- Set an example for cooks during prep and service, demonstrating standards for quality and efficiency
- Assist with larger kitchen projects, including, but not exclusive to: stocks, sauces, butchery, charcuterie
Approximate Shift Times:
The position is 50 +/- hours. This position is for an evening schedule. Late night availability is required. The restaurant is open seven days for brunch, lunch, and dinner.
The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, for 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
The duties of this position may change from time to time. State Park reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of State Park or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
EEO Statement: Big Dipper (State Park, Mamaleh’s, Café du Pays) is an equal opportunity employer and shall treat all applicants for employment equally based upon job-related qualifications and without regards to race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin, disability, religion, political activity, lawful tobacco use while off-duty, or any other characteristic protected by law.