Shy Bird is looking for Hosts for our second location in South Boston! Our bustling Kendall Square location has been serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner since 2019, with craveable, affordable food that celebrates the familiar while conveying genuine culinary ambition and passion.
Conveniently located on the Red Line between Andrew and Broadway Station, the new Shy Bird location will be joining the Iron Works development, an exciting new destination in South Boston that is bringing residential, retail, office, fitness and outdoor amenity spaces into one incredible community.
About Shy Bird:
Shy Bird is an all day café, rotisserie, and bar. Our breakfast, lunch, and dinner menus consist of craveable, affordable food that celebrates the familiar while conveying genuine culinary ambition and passion. We seek to turn guests into regulars by creating memorable moments, and it all starts with our amazing team. This all culminates under a culture of ambition we call ‘All In, All Day’.
Purpose of position:
The Host role is, like Shy Bird, multi-faceted and unique. By day, you could be behind the counter taking orders, running food, or helping pack takeout. By night, you’re seating guests, preparing sauces and chatting table/bar-side. You will be trained in our food, beverage, and host stand procedures, and help bring these programs to life for our guests. Shy Bird will only reach our collective and individual potential if our entire team seeks to create meaningful relationships with our guests.
The description below is for our Host position, but everyone works side-by-side at Shy Bird, so everyone needs to be cross-trained to support one another. Chefs run food and bus tables. Service team does dishes. We all run chicken.
- Greet all guests warmly
- Seek meaningful connection with guests in a fast-paced environment
- Comprehensive knowledge of OpenTable, seating flow, and reservations
- Ability to provide accurate wait times during busy services
- Basic knowledge of food, coffee, soft beverage, wine by the glass, beer and cocktails
- Commitment to building knowledge of wine, beer and spirits
- Help pre-bus, maintain, and clean the bar & dining room during service
- Assist with opening and closing restaurant duties and restock
- Support mise en place and preparation across Shy Bird
- Maintain and organize host stand
Keys to thriving at Shy Bird:
- Positivity, Reliability, Sense of Urgency
- Seek connections and build community with colleagues and guests
- Be curious about food, beverage and hospitality
- Run food, bus tables, always be mise-ing
- “All In, All Day”
To apply, send your resume to the email provided below.