Shy Bird is a cafe, rotisserie and bar open all day in Kendall Square. They’re striving to become a great neighborhood place with craveable food in a warm and welcoming setting that’s attractive any time of day for dining in, takeaway and delivery. For their team, they hope to bring the food beverage and hospitality culture that defines their other restaurants, Eastern Standard & Branch Line, into Shy Bird’s casual, counter-service environment.
The description below is for their Bartender Team but everyone works side by side at Shy Bird so everybody needs to be cross-trained to support one another. Chefs run food and bus tables. Counter team preps snap peas and do dishes. Bartenders seat guests and stock plates. They all run chicken.
Purpose of Position:
They pride ourselves on a culture of creating regulars and they want this to define the Shy Bird bar. Learn names, kids’ names, pets’ names, favorite drinks, favorite movies… The bar is the full-service spot in the counter-service setting of Shy Bird and they need their bartenders to make the most of that. The bar will be responsible for drinks, beers, and much of the wine.
- Seek meaningful connection with guests in a fast paced environment
- Cultivate regulars through sincere hospitality, service and enthusiasm for food and beverage
- Thoughtful & accurate order taking, includes repeating order to customer at the time of order
- Produce cocktails to standard recipes for house cocktails
- Prep and maintain all bar mise en place including juices, garnishes, tools, etc.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the food menus, ingredients, preparations, and allergies
- Comprehensive knowledge of coffee, soft beverage, wine by the glass, beer, and cocktails
- Commitment to building knowledge of wine, beer, and spirits
- Answer the phones following Shy Bird guidelines and taking call in orders
- Help pre-bus and cleaning the dining room during service when not needed at the counter
- Maintain a clean and sanitary work area both within your station and in the restaurant as a whole
- Assist with opening and closing restaurant duties and re-stocking
- Support mise en place and preparation across Shy Bird
Other duties as assigned
Keys to thriving at Shy Bird:
- Embrace and Convey Positivity (AKA Smile:)
- Seek Connections and Build Community with Colleagues and Guests
- Be Curious About Food, Beverage, and Hospitality
- Run Food, Bus Tables, Always be Mise-ing
- “All In, All Day”