Big Heart Hospitality is a Boston based restaurant group founded by Chef Tiffani Faison and Kelly Walsh in 2008. Big Heart Hospitality places their values above all and makes mandatory equality, diversity and kindness with their team as well as their guests. They create transformative dining experiences through curating service, food and beverage offerings and meticulously designed environments. They value fun, inclusive, collaborative environments and work together to maintain a company where each member is invited and encouraged to be the best version of themselves. They work hard, hold their guests and each other in high regard and love what they do. They are hospitality professionals with a giant heart and a shared sense of common purpose.
General Manager – Orfano
Big Heart Hospitality is looking for a General Manager for their upcoming Italian restaurant Orfano. They are looking for a leader in the food and beverage industry that wants to rethink the norms and convention and work with them to create a world class restaurant. The ideal candidate will have fine dining service experience at the “White Tablecloth” level and understand how to incorporate technically excellent service into a pretense-free environment with great humor and heart. Excellent wine knowledge, experience building a dynamic and inspiring list, negotiating with vendors, building relationships with winemakers and managing inventory levels are a must. They are advocates for their guests and work to make their time with them truly special.
The General Manager will manage day-to-say service operations of the restaurant, setting and maintaining all service standards through staff development and retention. They will be responsible for continually defining and refining service at Orfano. They will be responsible for hiring, training, and managing of all FOH managers and staff. The General Manager will manage the floor during service, lead and guide their management team and perform a variety of administrative duties, lead the FOH and BOH management teams to execute the restaurant’s service vision. The General Manager will be responsible for all controllable elements of the restaurant’s financial operations.
- Making all day-to-day decisions to maintain quality restaurant operations
- Identifying operational, service, and/or fiscal issues and suggesting corrective action to Ownership
- Hire, train and development of FOH hourly and management team, including:
- Develop, teach and maintain FOH service and training program
- Ongoing and vigilant training and development of service engaged employees
- Setting, achieving and maintaining clear service, training and knowledge related expectations
- Providing clear and ongoing feedback, in both daily and formal reviews
- Lead and manage all disciplinary action
- Testing and teaching all food, wine and beverage details and service elements
- Understanding and communicating the details of great service and guest interaction
- Overseeing the weekly schedules to protect the restaurants service needs with respect to business levels and budgets, accurate payroll and tip reporting
- Responsible for all areas of service of the restaurant
- Managing the floor – maintaining proper flow of service at the door and teaching/guiding front staff similarly
- Decision making and troubleshooting that is best for the guest and the restaurant, able to pivot and manage multiple issues simultaneously
- Ability to clearly see the physical restaurant environment and maintain an impeccably clean space; teach and instill that in all FOH team members
- Guide, champion and empower the FOH staff to be advocates for their guests at every turn
- Understand and maintain the need to create and work in true partnership with the Chef, BOH managers and team members, fostering an environment of family
- Mastery of reservations, reservations systems, VIP, press and high-pressure guest needs
- Making guests feel good so they some back
- Communication and execution of private events, buy-outs, etc.
- Communication with guests regarding less than perfect dining experiences, looking for better ways to serve their guest
- Leading a team that feels seen, respected and valued
- 3+ years of Senior level restaurant management experience a plus
- Food Handler’s Certification required
- Strong leadership skills
- Exceptional service skills, food and beverage knowledge required
- Proven ability to effectively manage and mentor employees
- Technical proficiency in restaurant POS, reservation systems, Microsoft Office strongly recommended
- High volume, fast-paced, high profile restaurant experience preferred
- Ability to think on your feet and make informed and mature decisions
- Detail oriented human required
- Love of great food and beverage
Please include a personal note with your cover letter and resume about why this specific position appeals to you and why you have chosen a career in Hospitality.