Arriving late spring 2023, Green Heart Hospitality will open the doors to an exciting new restaurant – The Elms Restaurant and Bar– a celebration of the flavors and spirit of the Lake Sunapee Region. The Elms is centrally located along Main Street in the heart of charming New London, New Hampshire, within the historic New London Inn, just steps from Colby-Sawyer College, the New London Barn Playhouse and Pleasant Lake. The time is perfect to come aboard and help us to make this restaurant the greatest neighborhood restaurant, one that every community longs for.
Green Heart Hospitality also owns and operates a second property in the area, The Inn at Pleasant Lake, home of Oak & Grain Restaurant. Oak & Grain Restaurant sits on a 4.5 acre property on Pleasant Lake, complete with 2 dining rooms, a charming barn, and an expansive event lawn. The dining experience is destination-worthy and memorable, offering both a la carte dining and a 5-course tasting menu. We are currently assembling a team for Oak & Grain that will help us to continue this storied restaurant’s evolution and growth.
Why Choose Us
To us, genuine human connections make people’s lives better, and we live for those moments and relish in those opportunities. Not just for our guests, but for each other, especially those who work here. We are a family that values each and everyone’s own unique superpowers and strive to put people in positions to best harness them.
We detest soulless, generic hospitality that makes people feel like an afterthought and celebrate that we are in the ‘business’ of creating remarkable, memorable, “unreasonable” hospitality. No one thing we do in our day is more important than making each and every guest, and our fellow team members, feel seen and heard.
It all runs from you. The spirited, passionate, authentic you – with your distinct background, gifts, experiences, and unique persona – is fully welcome, and important here. Because we know that when people can be themselves at work, they shine. You’ll act as an advocate for the restaurant, be a creator of ridiculously personal experiences, and develop relationships with guests that will compel them to return. We also know that work is not life, but that the best work enhances life. So your work-life balance is important to us. You should honor your day off, make it holy. And when you are present, be present. Guests feel it; staff feels it, you’ll feel it too.
For all the exceptional skills you bring to the table, you’ll receive highly competitive pay and benefits, all while collaborating with a team of motivated-to-make-it-happen coworkers who share a passion for memorable experiences and caring service. In joining you’ll become part of the Green Heart Hospitality family of places to stay, dine, celebrate and seek adventure — with many opportunities for professional and personal growth.
An Executive Sous Chef with Green Heart Hospitality should be an enthusiastic and engaging host and ambassador, ensuring each guest has a vibrant, enjoyable, and memorable experience worth returning for. This position is an ideal fit for a friendly, colorful, and efficient personality—a person who is passionate about excellent service and sharing the excitement of new food and beverage offerings with locals and visitors alike. The Executive Sous Chef role is focused on the precise and consistent execution of food and maintaining a clean and professional kitchen environment. We’re looking for people who care about the guest experience and a job well done. Personalities and individuality are welcome and encouraged; egos and pretention are not! We’re here to take exceptional care of our guests and one another.
Your Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead all aspects of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef.
- Inventively solve any issues that arise and seize control of any problematic situations.
- Lead and train kitchen staff, and establish a working schedule.
- Interview and hire employees; plan, assign, and direct work; appraise performance; reward and discipline employees; address complaints and resolve problems.
- Identify developable personnel, and provide necessary training as positions open.
- Order, stock, and inspect the quality of all food items necessary for daily service.
- Maintain budgeted labor costs and assist in controlling overtime.
- Ensure that food is produced on a timely basis – the goal is to execute all tickets in 20 minutes or less.
- Participate in service education through daily line-ups, quarterly menu meetings, and new staff training programs so that everyone is well-educated regarding the menu items.
- Assist the restaurant in meeting the financial targets while achieving the food quality service objectives.
- Maintain a high level of cleanliness in the kitchen facilities by supervising the daily cleaning of the pantry, cooking line, prep kitchen, dish area, stairs, and walk-in.
What You Bring
- 3 years of previous culinary experience in a high-volume, full-service restaurant; and/or culinary program curriculum; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Associate’s degree in Culinary Arts or related certificate is a preferred.
- You’ve got a flexible schedule, able to work weekends, nights, mornings, and holidays when needed.
- You’re knowledgeable and passionate about various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment, and the industry’s standard practices and trends.
- Your knife skills are excellent (and accurate!)
- You’re a leader with a desire to build a healthy and collaborative team!
- Able to multitask in a dynamic environment.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills in order to foster positive working relationships with many types of personalities.
- Ability to stand, sit, walk, stoop, kneel and crouch for the duration of shift (eight hours)
- Ability to lift and/or move and/or push up to 40 pounds without assistance
- Differences make a difference. We are committed to creating a culture that reflects the diversity of our hotel and restaurant guests. With that goal in mind, we encourage each of our employees to understand, accept, and celebrate differences among people. That includes different personalities, lifestyles, work styles, education, and experience. We also welcome and embrace people of all races, ethnicities, ages, religions, physical abilities, sexual orientation, gender identities and genders.
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Relocation and housing negotiable
To apply, please send your resume to the email provided below.