Miel Brasserie at the Intercontinental Hotel is looking for a Sous Chef. This position will supervise day-to-day activities of the cooks and other culinary personnel to achieve compliance in food preparations, presentation, and quality. Assist with employee training and scheduling. Adhere to federal, state and local regulations concerning health, safety, or other compliance requirements, as well as brand standards and local policies and procedures. Serve as Restaurant Chef in his/her absence.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee methods of preparation, portion sizes, and timeliness of food preparation; control food usage to minimize waste.
- Assist the Restaurant Chef in creating and testing new recipes and maintaining updated and accurate documentation and costing of all dishes prepared and sold in the food and beverage facilities.
- Maintain procedures to (1) ensure the security and proper storage of food and beverage products, kitchen inventory and equipment, (2) replenish supplies, inventory, uniforms, etc. in a timely and efficient manner, and (3) to minimize waste and control costs.
- Recommend and initiate salary, disciplinary, or other staffing/human resources – related actions in accordance with company rules and policies. Alert management of potentially serious issues.
- Promote teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments. Key departmental contacts include Sales and Marketing, Catering, Banquets, Maintenance, and Guest Services. Assist sales, catering, and banquet staffs with banquets, parties and other special events.
- Review the following day’s menus and complete requisitions for food and supplies needed from various storerooms; maintain inventory control procedures. Assist with the regular inventory of food and kitchen supplies; order items as necessary to maintain adequate inventory levels.
- Assist in developing new menus and concepts to keep up with business and industry trends.
- Supervise of day-to-day operations and assignments of the culinary staff, communicate goals, and assign/schedule work. Assist with the communication and enforcement of formal policies and procedures.
- Assist the Restaurant Chef in determining the minimum and maximum stocks of all food, material and equipment.
- Ensure that all kitchen equipment, including but not limited to sinks, stoves, grills, hoods, coolers, freezers, etc., are in proper operational condition and are cleaned on a regular basis. Ensure that all kitchen areas and related storerooms are cleaned, mopped, and properly stocked according to anticipated business volume and in accordance with sanitation and health department requirements. Notify
- Engineering immediately of any maintenance and repair needs.
- May serve as Manager on Duty or perform other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS: Completion of a high school diploma or equivalent, and two years of experience in a management or supervisory culinary role, or equivalent combination of education and culinary/kitchen operations experience. Previous experience in a high end, luxury hotel or restaurant preferred. Degree or certificate in culinary arts preferred.
This job requires ability to perform the following:
- Carrying or lifting items weighing up to 50 pounds
- Moving about the kitchen
- Handling food, objects, products and utensils
- Bending, stooping, kneeling
- Communication skills are utilized a significant amount of time when interacting with others; demonstrated ability to interact with guests, employees and third parties that reflects highly on the hotel, the brand and the Company.
- Reading and writing abilities are utilized often when completing paperwork and management reports, ordering and receiving inventory, and giving and receiving instructions.
- Mathematical skills, including basic math, budgeting, profit/loss concepts, percentages, and variances are utilized frequently.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are used often.
- Alcohol awareness certification and/or food service permit or valid health/food handler card as required by local or state government agency.
- May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
Employees will receive a competitive financial and benefits package which may include healthcare support, dental, vision, disability and life insurance support, and a matching 401k plan. Hotel discounts worldwide are available as well as access to a wide variety of discount programs and the chance to work with a great team of people.
IHG is an equal opportunity employer: Minorities / Females / Disabled / Veterans.