About the MIDA brand
MIDA embodies the spirit of generosity. Literally meaning “he gives me.” Douglass Williams and his team carefully weave progressive standards with emotional intelligence into their visions for front of house hospitality and kitchen culture. Generosity spreads to all pieces of the business from menu development, beverage offerings to hiring practices and even how MIDA develops new concepts for growth.
About MIDA Restaurant
MIDA Restaurant opened on the edge of Boston’s South End in late 2016 and serves a menu that draws inspiration from flavors and techniques from Italian culture and history, while staying true to Mediterranean sensibilities and the traveling experiences of MIDA’s owner, managers and it’s employees. Owner and Executive Chef, Douglass Williams and the MIDA team create dishes that showcase how world class skill and experience manifest in an energetic-neighborhood setting. A seventy-seat restaurant that provides a beacon for diverse conversation, cultures, and an embrace of community.
The Chef d’ Cuisine, in conjunction with the sous chef, are responsible for managing the kitchen and ensuring the flow of service is efficient and smooth. The CDC will be responsible for menu development, execution and managing consistency with guidance from the Executive chef/owner, Douglass Williams.
A key responsibility will be mentoring, training and disciplining staff (sous chef, line cooks, prep cooks, porters.)
- Hands on management is key in developing, monitoring and ensuring that standard kitchen operating procedures are met on a daily basis.
- Manage all kitchen employees including training, mentoring, and disciplining.
- Oversee and manage the prep and line cook team to ensure all items and recipes are made to standard.
- Enforce and train food and equipment safety and sanitation for all staff.
- Ensure kitchen equipment is maintained and functions properly; report any facilities issues to the General Manager or AGM.
- Monitor receiving to ensure all product meets restaurant standards. Send back and note if items need to be re- delivered.
- Regularly develop new menu items in line with the brand visions and ensure proper execution and roll out of any new additions.
- Constantly find ways to stay inspired and to continue to inspire the kitchen staff.
- Schedule staff weekly; Assist and support GM in 2% kitchen appreciation fee documentation.
- Send daily service reports, check reservations logs, and HR related processes such as trail paperwork, worker’s comp, and accident reports when necessary.
- CDC being ultimately responsible, the CDC will support sous chef with the inventory, purchasing, and receiving of product processes.
- Manage and uphold inventory levels, COGS, and labor cost set forth by the Executive Chef. Guidance, tactics and mentoring assistance is always available.
- Support staffing needs for BOH open positions; assist in the interviewing, selection, hiring and training of all BOH staff.
- Maintaining correspondence with payroll/finance department If there are changes or issues that need to be addressed.
- Discussing and asking for advice and guidance on the weekly review of the P&L and participating in discussions about said P&L from week to week.
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years minimum of related experience required
- Medium-high volume experience required, fine dining experience a plus
- Experience with back of house administrative and managerial duties a must
- Knowledgeable of techniques, methods, tools, and equipment used in preparing and cooking high quality cuisine
- Proven ability in teaching and mentoring kitchen employees
- Exceptional communication and supervisory skills
- Food Handler’s Certification required. MIDA can help with acquiring in certain cases.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Ability to demonstrate quick thinking and adaptability in a constantly changing environment
- Have interpersonal skills to deal effectively with all business contacts
- Work varied shifts, including weekends and holidays
- Able to effectively communicate in both written and oral forms
- Opening experience not required but a plus
- Performs all other related duties as requested
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, sitting, standing, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- The duties of this position may change from time to time. MIDA reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of MIDA or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
What’s in it for you?
MIDA offers competitive salary and healthcare. they encourage employees to grow and learn with the business and offer opportunities when available for personal and career development.
MIDA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, national origin, alienage or citizenship, age, disability, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic.