The Pastry Sous Chef will oversee the daily operations of the Mamaleh’s bakery and its staff. They will manage ordering needs, production schedules and execution of breads, pastries, and other miscellaneous baking needs for the company. This role involves production and administrative hours. The Pastry Sous Chef will be able to work independently and take initiative, but also be willing to take input and creative direction from the Executive Pastry Chef. They will work together to grow volume of production and increase efficiency in methods and execution. Mamaleh’s Delicatessen is part of a growing company. There is opportunity for growth for the right candidate.
- Strong baking experience and skills.
- Background in large volume establishments.
- Comfort in following recipes and making cakes, pies, cookies, ice creams, bread doughs, and other pastries.
- Solid managerial experience and skills in overseeing and leading a team of people.
- Strong organizational and administrative skills.
- Ability to work quickly, cleanly, and efficiently so as to set a standard for other bakery employees.
- Leadership by example – of all bakery staff
- Hiring, training, and monitoring all staff – including regular staff reviews
- Reinforcement of protocols and practices
- Appropriate scheduling of staff and production lists and timelines.
- Managing production – numbers, prep and priority items.
- Consistency and Quality Control
- Adherence to company standards
- Maintain best practices in: production, storage including rotation and consolidation and cleanliness
- Ordering products including dry goods, dairy and produce.
- Recipe development and refinement
- Maintain lines of communication between bakery staff, Mamaleh’s other back of house staff, front of house staff, and staff from other restaurants.
- Monitoring and adjusting labor and food costs.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of bread shaping, cookie making, and other pastry duties. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in a kitchen environment with a moderate noise level.
The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for 8 to 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Positive work ethic and attitude
- Encourage and support staff – make them work harder and happier
- Work under pressure: When the going gets tough, the tough get going
- Ability to multitask and work efficiently
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to take feedback and be collaborative
- Respectful and effective interpersonal skills and willingness to learn, especially as a manager
- Possess problem-solving capabilities and be resourceful
- Vacation: 10 days of paid vacation in the first year.
- Simple IRA:
- Health Insurance: Big Dipper Hospitality Group offers a co-pay health insurance policy to all full-time employees.
After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on or before your 90th day of employment.
Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- 24/7 Gym Membership: Discounted to $20/month (they pay $10/month)
- Perks at Work: An exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email.
- Discounts on dining across all restaurants: State Park, Mamaleh’s Delicatessen, Café du Pays
- Discounted parking at the One Kendall Square Garage – $8/day