Mamaleh’s Delicatessen is a busy, modern Jewish Delicatessen located in Kendall Square. They are looking for an enthusiastic delivery driver who will be responsible for transporting delicious, from-scratch food products and other goods from their restaurant in Cambridge to their intended location. A primary responsibility of the driver will be daily transportation of food and supplies from Cambridge to satellite location(s) with deliveries scheduled in the early morning. In addition to inter-company deliveries Mamaleh’s has an active catering department and the person in this role will be responsible for delivering these orders, as well. The driver is responsible for getting all goods delivered on time, intact, and with care. The driver is a vital part of their growing team and company. Their duties include collecting, organizing and loading goods, navigating the Mamaleh’s van, and delivering food and packages between restaurant locations and to catering destinations. The driver will use the Mamaleh’s Van for all deliveries and is also in charge of keeping track of its maintenance needs including gas fills.
This position is part-time consisting of early morning shifts of 2-3 hours, starting at 6:00am.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
Things are often changing with the business as they adapt to new models of service. The following is a list of current responsibilities:
- Following the best practices for safety, both on the road and while loading and unloading the van
- Communicating with other team members to ensure smooth deliveries
- Meeting delivery deadlines, including early morning orders (6am start time)
- Loading and unloading cargo
- Performing basic van maintenance (gas fills, car wash, etc)
Skills and Requirements:
- Current driver’s license
- Safe, responsible driving skills / Clean driving record
- Positive attitude – friendly and eager to learn
- Able to stay positive and calm under pressure
- Sense of urgency
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Work well with direction, but able to take initiative and be independent
- Able to take constructive criticism, learn quickly and constantly improve
- Work collaboratively with BOH staff and FOH staff
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching and lifting up to 50 pounds. This job is expected to have an early start time of 6am. Some deliveries are extensive and may require a few trips to and from the van for loading and unloading. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
Expected On-Call Shifts:
- They often get last minute requests for delivery, so additional hours will be offered on an as-needed basis.
- Start time may be adjusted for special events. End time may be adjusted for business decline/volume.
Benefits available to you include:
- Matched Simple IRA: A retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with them for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- Health Insurance: Big Dipper Hospitality Group offers a Harvard Pilgrim HMO health insurance policy to all full-time (30+ hr/wk) employees, paying half of monthly premium. After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on or before your 90th day of employment.
- Perks at Work: An exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email
- Discounts: Throughout the BDHG family of restaurants
- Parking: Discounted rates at the One Kendall Square Garage
- Discounted Gym Membership: Conveniently located on the One Kendall Square campus
- Performance Evaluations: The schedule for these conversations relate to the start date of the employee and fits with yearly activities. All employees will have performance evaluations to provide a stepping-stone for the employee and supervisor to:
– Touch base about what’s going well and what needs improvement
– Clarify expectations and set goals
– Encourage career development
- Growth Opportunity: Available for motivated employees who take initiative and exhibit leadership qualities, as well as a willingness to grow and learn. As a growing company, they provide opportunities to those who want to seek a new challenge in a different role or location.
Mamaleh’s Delicatessen opened in Kendall Square, Cambridge in 2016 to lines out the door serving homemade bagels, lox, pastrami, corned beef, blintzes, black and white cookies, babka, egg creams, and dozens of other dishes that would make any nostalgic (Jewish) person swoon. During this opening time, they received much acclaim, including Bon Appetit Magazine’s 50 best new restaurants in the country and Boston Magazine’s Best Deli. They’re still fighting through the Covid era and beyond and plan to be a staple in the Boston area for years to come!
About Big Dipper Hospitality Group:
Founded in 2008, in Cambridge, Mass., the Big Dipper Hospitality Group has created some of the area’s most beloved dining spots, such as State Park, Mamaleh’s, and Café Du Pays. They are a family-run, independent, award-winning restaurant group, passionate about hospitality and integrity. They are committed to creating healthy work experiences and opportunities for advancement in the field. The ownership and management team work hard alongside staff daily and have enacted a food revenue sharing program amongst the kitchen team.
The Duties Of This Position May Change From Time To Time
Big Dipper Hospitality Group (BDHG) reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of BDHG or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
Big Dipper Hospitality Group is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. It is their policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees. They do not discriminate against applicants or employees in regard to actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.