Mamaleh’s Delicatessen, the first modern Jewish Delicatessen in the Boston area, is looking for a Part Time Baker to join their team.
A baker is responsible for working a station as a member of a team. They do the morning bake-off, production, set up and break down work stations, and help clean the kitchen at the end of service. They can work quickly and efficiently, craft pies, cakes, cookies, BAGELS (and more!) and multitask while maintaining a positive attitude. We have high standards for product and technique, and need the right people to help maintain them. This position requires a 4:30am-5:00am start time, so must be able to arrive ready to work early in the mornings. This position is for Part Time, between 20-30 hours a week, with potential for full time in the future.
Baker duties are divided into Baker 2 and Baker 1, with those in the Baker 2 position having the opportunity to advance to the Baker 1 position.
Responsibilities and Expectations of Baker 2:
- Make and bake cakes, pies, cookies, bagels, ice cream, preserves, and other specialty products according to recipe instructions
- Maintain high standards for bakery products and techniques
- Able to maintain and ensure consistent production
- Able to complete projects quickly and efficiently
- Maintain cleanliness of any bakery work areas, including and not limited to sheeter, dough divider, ice cream machine, mixers, ovens, and prep areas
- Participate in deep cleaning of bakery work areas, including and not limited to baking equipment, and prep areas
- Able to stay positive and calm under pressure
- Work collaboratively with BOH staff and FOH staff
- Able to work independently as needed
- Hone existing skills while learning new techniques and building skill set
- Able to work at least one opening station (ie, Cookie, Boil or Bread)
Responsibilities and Expectations of Baker 1:
- Must perform all the duties outlined above as well as the following
- Capable of working multiple opening stations (ie, Cookie, Boil and/or Bread)
- Maintain a bigger picture and overall understanding of bakery routines
Skills and Requirements of Baker 2:
- Positive, friendly and eager to learn
- Work well with direction, but able to take initiative and be independent
- Have experience following recipes, troubleshooting, and thinking critically
- General baking, food safety & sanitation knowledge
- Strong communication skills to convey needs to managers and teammates and ability to interact in a professional manner
- Able to take constructive criticism, learn quickly and constantly improve
- Sense of urgency and comfort in a fast-paced environment
- Able to maintain mental athleticism and coordination of catering orders and service needs
- Able to be on time and ready to work early in the morning
Skills and Requirements of Baker 1:
- One year of experience in a bakery or restaurant environment
- Strong foundation in baking techniques and recipes
- Efficient time management and organizational skills in accomplishing prep lists and projects
- The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for 8-10 hours, bending, going up and down the stairs multiple times a day with heavy loads, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
Expected On-Call Shifts:
- Start time may be adjusted for special events. End time may be adjusted for business decline/volume.
- Health, Dental, and Voluntary Benefits Package available after 90 days for full time employees (25+ hrs/wk)
- Flexible Spending Options (health care, dependent care, transit & parking)
- Simple IRA + up to 3% Company Match: Invest in your retirement while lowering your taxable income
- Dining Programs: Enjoy up to a 50% discount at all restaurant locations, + Perks at Work: An employee discount program for services and products.
- Discounted Gym Membership: Located on the One Kendall Square campus
- Generous Employee Referral Program
- Career Mentorship and Growth Potential
About Mamaleh’s Delicatessen
Mamaleh’s Delicatessen opened in 2016 with the goal of bringing Jewish cuisine and deli culture to the Boston area. We are grateful for the acclaim we have received, including Bon Appetit Magazine’s 50 best new restaurants in the country and Boston Magazine’s Best Deli. Thanks to our tremendously hard working staff and loyal guests, we have become a beloved part of the greater Boston community, with locations in Cambridge, Brookline, and Boston.
We are committed to providing the best possible work environment and exemplary work practices for our employees. Daily, we work to nurture an inclusive workplace where all staff feel included, respected, and valued. We offer competitive wages as well as a meaningful benefits package, and we continue to make strides towards evolving our business practices to address some of the intrinsic injustices in the tipped model of the hospitality industry.
The Duties Of This Position May Change From Time To Time
Big Dipper Hospitality Group (BDHG) reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of BDHG or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
BDHG Is Proud To Be An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees in regard to actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $18.00 per hour
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- 10 hour shift
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Weekend availability
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Cambridge, MA 02139: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
Work Location: One location