Mamaleh’s is hiring an Assistant Manager. The Assistant Manager will work closely with the General Manager, Chef, Pastry Chef, and all members of the restaurant’s management team to ensure the restaurant is operating according to the standards set by the ownership team and the Big Dipper Hospitality Group corporate office. They will be responsible for assisting in overseeing service, training FOH staff and will share in administrative responsibilities. Mamaleh’s managers are integral and active members of service. Mamaleh’s managers are expected to be hands-on from the beginning to end of the guest experience – with guests, the service team, and with the Back of House team.
Responsibilities and Expectations:
- FOH MANAGEMENT
- Ensure all guests enjoy their experience!
- Opening, service hours and closing managerial responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Oversee the FOH staff through all working hours
- Look ahead to the next shift and make sure they are set up for success
- Directing staff and enforcing service standards
- Assist in oversight and update of daily FOH staff briefing notes and communicating changes to all staff.
- Oversee daily orders and provide support throughout the shift
- Financial/cash handling
- Guest interaction – ensuring service and food quality, cultivating relationships, resolving issues
- Assist with coordination and fulfillment of all ‘extra curricular’ sales, including Shopify, Catering, Suburban Pickups, and more.
- Clear and continuous communication with kitchen and all FOH staff to ensure proper flow of service and guest satisfaction
- Upholding service standards, product quality and cleanliness
- Frequent decision making and troubleshooting
- Receiving orders and putting them away
- Safe handling of food
- Proper rotation and monitoring of food
- Update POS based on specials, product selection and availability
- Training and development of FOH hourly team including:
- Coordinate training of all FOH hourly staff based on standards determined by the ownership team and set training protocols.
- Improvement of FOH employee training program, in conjunction with the General Manager and ownership.
- Continual development of FOH employees by upholding performance expectations, providing ongoing feedback, and assisting in conducting regular performance reviews
- Ensuring FOH staff has appropriate food, beverage, and service knowledge
- Assist in executing new restaurant initiatives and service protocols through staff training
- Maintain a healthy work environment amongst staff. Be a positive influence on staff. Coordinate with FOH manager and HR if any issues arise
- Lead by example in all areas:
- Proper execution of all service standards and protocols
- Clear and professional communication with other managers, other departments, all hourly employees, and guests
- Exceptional work ethic, strong attention to detail, and a collaborative attitude
- Oversee cleanliness and organization of market area including all merchandise
- Order and maintain restaurant supplies, which include, but are not limited to FOH specific food and drink, and dry goods
- Oversee and assist with deliveries as needed (catering, suburban pickups, Mamaleh’s Brookline, Mamaleh’s High Street Place and other)
- Clear and professional communication with other managers, other departments, all hourly employees, and guests – avoiding negativity or profane language
- Communicate clearly with the ownership and management teams through established communication software.
- Assist in working offsite events
- Conduct monthly FOH inventory
Skills & Requirements:
- BE AN EXTRA NICE PERSON!!
- Strong systems management and computer literacy skills
- Someone who is capable, responsible, able to garner authority
- Be a source of positivity for the staff with a “yes we can” attitude
- Bring the staff up – make them work harder and happier
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to multitask and work efficiently.
- Able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to take feedback and be collaborative
- Respectful and effective interpersonal skills and willingness to learn, especially as a manager
- Possess problem-solving capabilities and be resourceful
- Must be able to communicate clearly in English.
- Exceptional work ethic.
- Strong communication skills to convey needs and complete the transaction in a professional manner
- Good at logistics
- Hospitality awareness
- Strong attention to detail, detail oriented, organized and professional
- Exceptional service and floor skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, and dynamic environment with high expectations for quality of service.
- Self-motivated individuals who can think and adapt quickly. Must have the ability to move with a sense of urgency.
- Ability to train and supervise. Communicate effectively in both written and verbal form.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to understand the activity in the department.
The Following Qualifications Are Strongly Preferred
- Knowledge and love of Jewish Deli culture
- High volume, fast-paced restaurant experience
- Comprehensive food and beverage knowledge
- A moderate amount of Spanish speaking
- Must have a flexible schedule and ability to work various hours
- Current driver’s license
- College or related trade degree
- Tips or 21+ Training
- ChokeSaver / CPR
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a device, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in a restaurant environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for 5 to 10 hours, bending, and moving intermittently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Managers are regularly scheduled for a 5-day, 45-50 hour work week
- They will occasionally be asked to work additional days to cover staffing shortages
- Vacation: 10 days of paid vacation in the first year. After each year, employees are eligible to accrue an additional 3 days a year, per year of service, based on yearly employee performance review. Employee reviews will be held within 30 days of employee hire date each year. Vacation day accruals will cap at 20 days per year.
- Short Term and Long Term Disability Insurance
- Simple IRA: A Matched simple IRA retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with us for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- Matched Simple IRA: A retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with us for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- Health Insurance: Big Dipper Hospitality Group offers a Harvard Pilgrim HMO health insurance policy to all full-time (30+ hr/wk) employees, paying half of monthly premium. After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on or before your 90th day of employment.
- Perks at Work: An exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email
- Discounts: Throughout the BDHG family of restaurants
- Parking: Discounted rates at the One Kendall Square Garage
- Discounted Gym Membership: Conveniently located on the One Kendall Square campus
- Performance Evaluations: The schedule for these conversations relate to the start date of the employee and fits with our yearly activities. All employees will have performance evaluations to provide a stepping-stone for the employee and supervisor to:
- Touch base about what’s going well and what needs improvement
- Clarify expectations and set goals
- Encourage career development
- Growth Opportunity: Available for motivated employees who take initiative and exhibit leadership qualities, as well as a willingness to grow and learn. As a growing company, we provide opportunities to those who want to seek a new challenge in a different role or location.
About Mamaleh’s Delicatessen
Mamaleh’s Delicatessen opened in Cambridge in 2016 with the goal of bringing Jewish cuisine of decades past into the Boston present. Since opening, we’ve received much acclaim, including Bon Appetit Magazine’s 50 best new restaurants in the country, Boston Magazine’s Best Deli, and become a beloved part of the Boston community. Thanks to our tremendously loyal staff and customers, Mamaleh’s is still fighting through the Covid era, and we plan to be a Boston area staple for years to come.
Our staff is our family, and we are committed to providing the best possible work environment and exemplary work practices for our employees. Daily, we work to nurture an inclusive workplace where all staff feel included, respected, and valued. We employ a leadership team of which more than 50 percent are women and people of color. We offer competitive wages as well as a meaningful benefits package, and we continue to make strides towards evolving our business practices to address some of the intrinsic injustices in the tipped model of the hospitality industry.
The Duties Of This Position May Change From Time To Time
Big Dipper Hospitality Group (BDHG) reserves the right to add or delete duties and responsibilities at the discretion of BDHG or its managers. This job description is intended to describe the general level of work being performed. It is not intended to be all-inclusive.
BDHG Is Proud To Be An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities to all qualified applicants and employees. We do not discriminate against applicants or employees in regard to actual or perceived race, color, creed, religion, gender (including gender identity or expression), pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, marital status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, ancestry, national origin, alienage, age, disability, military or veteran status, genetic information or predisposing genetic characteristic, or other protected status.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $45,000.00 – $50,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Fast casual restaurant
- Quick service & fast food restaurant
Shift: 10 hour shift
Weekly day range: Weekend availability
Work Location: One location