Located just outside of Union Square Somerville, Josephine is Michael Scelfo’s newest restaurant concept that focuses on a forward-thinking approach to Italian cuisine. We are looking for those seeking to grow and evolve professionally with the restaurant, while nurturing the career development of culinary and restaurant professionals.
Managers are in prestigious positions of leadership & empowered to also change, grow, and evolve professionally with the restaurant. Managers are leaders on the restaurant floor and are expected to be punctual, professional, and mature. Managers lead by example with acquired food and beverage knowledge and guide their teams to provide stellar guest experience. They provide service expertise, translating to both guests and staff, and problem-solving tools for all. Managers are responsible for daily care and maintenance of the restaurant, including opening and closing the business. Managers direct staff, both front of house and back of house. They lead by example, demonstrating proficiency in all areas of the restaurant; hosting, serving, running, bussing. Managers also oversee all products pertaining to service and front of house operations, including beverage, service tools, plateware, glassware and other products deemed critical to service.
The General Manager is responsible for guiding front of house operations, with a focus on the service & bar team. This position touches all aspects of modern hospitality, both culturally and technically, making business-oriented decisions.
We expect all managers to build and design positive guest experiences as champions of incredible hospitality. Through service or individual interactions, it starts with the management and is felt by all. We are here to create memorable experiences and repeat guests. Everything we do should be for that shared end goal.
- Seek to generate financial success and profitability for the restaurant
- Lead by example to generate a positive, productive work environment for all staff
- Manage operations with passion, integrity, and knowledge
- Manage time effectively and meet all job responsibilities
- Follow all established policies and procedures, including those for product, hospitality, HR, health, safety, and sanitation.
Operations & Hospitality Responsibilities:
This position is directly responsible for servers and support staff, who are integral to guest experience. The GM also is directly responsible for restaurant inventory of service pieces and restaurant physical plant.
- Demonstrate positivity, enthusiasm and energy for both service and hospitality
- Seek to make the restaurant as busy as it can be at all times
- Deliver superior service and maximize customer satisfaction
- Respond efficiently and accurately to customer feedback, positive and negative
- Champion all restaurant concept elements, including culinary direction, beverage program and signature hospitality
- Share this knowledge with staff through daily briefings, training, and continued education
- Oversee the daily service periods, ensuring steps of service and hospitality ethos, extending to all areas of the restaurant
- Complete inventory and cost tracking sheets, for stated areas of supervision
- Demonstrate proficiency in all front of house areas to assist with all service operations
- Write weekly schedules for front of house team (Hourly Employees – Servers Support Staff)
- Responsible for monitoring, training, and development of new front of house employees during all shifts
- Responsible for correcting and coaching front of house staff on both technical and cultural performance
- Make schedule adjustments to impact labor management
- Follow inventory control procedures to reduce product loss
- Consistently review operations to identify problems, concerns, & opportunities for improvement
- Follow all established Food Safety, Alcohol Service, Health Code, and cleanliness practices
- Maintain cleanliness and organization and complete daily operational checklists
- Oversee daily care of physical plant using management team as needed
- Follow all HR best practices, connected to hiring, training, development, discipline & termination
- Promote the brand in the local community through word-of-mouth and restaurant events
- Recommend ways to reach a broader audience through marketing initiatives
Education & Experience Required:
- Proven work experience as a Restaurant Manager, or Restaurant General Manager
- Proven customer service experience as a manager
- Extensive food and beverage (F&B) knowledge, with ability to remember and recall ingredients and dishes to inform customers and service staff
- Familiarity with restaurant management software, like OpenTable and Aloha
- Strong leadership, motivational, and people skills
- Must be comfortable standing/walking for 8 hours, and be able to bend, push, pull and/or lift 30 lbs.
- ServSafe Certification Required, with training available
- Crowd Manager Certified
- 2 years management experience appreciated
- Minimum 3 years hospitality experience
- Present in the restaurant dining room 5 shifts per week, including evenings and / or weekends
- Available for meetings as needed with staff & management team
- Determined based on professional experience
- Health Benefits Available
- Paid Time Off, Vacation, Sick Time
To apply, please send your resume to the email provided below.