Haley House is hiring a Line Cook!
About Haley House: Haley House uses food and the power of community to break down barriers, open opportunities, and strengthen the neighborhoods they serve. Their Bakery Cafe is a cultural hub of Nubian Square offering cafe and catering services and regular community events. They use open book management to include their team in making decisions that allow us to grow a successful social enterprise that values their community and focuses on staff growth. They place a priority on mutual respect and trust, teamwork, collective responsibility and creating a work environment where all staff feel safe and valued.
Founded in 1966, Haley House has grown to include four interconnected branches: direct services (soup kitchen, food pantry, meal for elders), permanent affordable housing, urban agriculture, and social enterprise (Haley House Bakery Cafe). Their direct services and housing are located in the South End, and their social enterprise is located in Roxbury; their urban agriculture is in both neighborhoods.
They are looking for individuals to work on an hourly basis( either full-time or part-time) and they offer a fair wage package that includes excellent healthcare and dental and life benefits as well as PTO.
Role: Responsible for preparing and serving delicious food in a team environment with a dedicated commitment to their organizational mission to serve the community by breaking down barriers and opening opportunities.
- Prepare food items consistently and efficiently while adhering to established recipes and portion sizes
- Set and meet priorities in regards to customer needs, tickets, prep work and cleanliness
- Ensure that customers are politely and warmly greeted and are given timely, responsive, friendly and courteous service
- Must be able to balance individual tasks with the needs of the team as a whole
- Maintain an excellent attendance record and a positive attitude that supports co-workers and is open to learning and personal growth
- Participate in Open Book management processes and look to identify opportunities to help the Cafe grow revenues and manage costs
- Must be able to lift 50 pounds
- Must be able to walk up and down stairs and ladders with heavy objects
- Must have the ability to use a knife; advanced knife skills a plus
- Must be able to perform tasks standing for up to 6-8 hours at a time
- Able to move heavy objects in and out of extreme temperatures (ovens, walk-in freezers)
- Culinary training or prior relevant work experience.
- Commitment to helping the most vulnerable in society and to the mission of Haley House
Send cover letter and resume to Misha at the email address provided below.