Haley House is hiring an Kitchen Manager/Assistant GM (BOH).
Role: Manage back-of-house operations and staff to ensure that the Cafe offers delicious food on a consistent high-quality and cost-effective basis. Support the General Manager in providing overall leadership for the Bakery Cafe and in building and managing a successful restaurant operation that builds community for the Nubian Square neighborhood.
This is a full-time salaried position with benefits and paid time off.
The ideal candidate for this position will have excellent culinary, management and communications skills as well as a desire for promoting a culture of learning and a commitment to our open book management model and our organizational values.
- Lead the process for the design, creation and implementation of systems for all kitchen functions including inventory monitoring, product ordering consistent and efficient preparation of menu items and compliance with food safety standards.
- Work side-by-side with kitchen staff to provide hands-on training and skill development ensuring that all staff will be able to implement systems independently.
- Manage all kitchen staff, including scheduling, directing and, training so that labor cost objectives are met.
- Make recommendations to the Cafe GM regarding hiring, performance management and discipline so that Kitchen staff receive timely and effective feedback.
- Order produce, dairy, meats and bread to meet production needs with minimal waste.
- Ensure all food is prepared in accord with ServSafe standards, that Health Inspection standards are maintained, that the kitchen is clean and organized and that regular deep cleanings are completed.
- Develop menu items and track their results to identify strong and weak performers as identified in open book management model.
- Ensure that all kitchen items meet quality, timeliness and portion control standards.
- Oversee the waste management systems to ensure that waste is limited, recycling is sorted properly and composting is maximized.
- Manage the facility and equipment, including coordinating successful building and health inspections with the City of Boston.
- Coordinate use of space with TBK Coordinator.
- Serve as a member of the management team with a goal of sharing knowledge, building skills and establishing systems
- Serve as the Bakery Cafe manager when the General Manager is absent
- Excellent culinary skills.
- Experience running and managing professional kitchen operations and establishing systems.
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and teaching skills.
- Experience at a nonprofit that addresses issues related to homelessness, housing, job training, social justice and/or urban agriculture preferred.
- Commitment to helping the most vulnerable in society and track record of challenging existing systems of privilege and injustice.
- Commitment to sourcing locally and minimizing environmental impact through recycling and composting.
To apply: Send cover letter and resume to Misha at the address below.
About Haley House: Haley House uses food and the power of community to break down barriers, open opportunities, and strengthen neighborhoods. Founded in 1966, Haley House has grown to include four interconnected branches: direct services (soup kitchen, food pantry, meal for elders), permanent affordable housing, urban agriculture, and social enterprise (Haley House Bakery Cafe). Their direct services and housing are located in the South End, and their social enterprise is located in Roxbury; the urban agriculture is in both neighborhoods.