Greystone is a neighborhood café, bakery, and provisions shop opening in the South End this spring.
They are obsessed with good atmosphere, standout food, exceptional coffee, genuine service, and smart business.
They pride themselves on quality products, offering coffee sourced ethically directly from farmers, cooking up delicious baked goods, gourmet sandwiches, and hearty salads in-house, and selling small-batch pantry goods made by local masters of their craft.
They are building a team of thoughtful, passionate, hard-working, over-achievers, and would love for you to join them!
This is a unique opportunity to become part of the fabric of Greystone—helping to create, shape, and run the cafe. It is a good fit for someone who has yearned to open up their own café, or who has a desire to feel a strong sense of ownership, autonomy, and influence over the place they work.
The Greystone General Manager will be the face of the Greystone operation. Partnering closely with the owners, the GM will be responsible for all café operations. They will care deeply about creating a warm, welcoming, environment, developing a culture that sets a high standard of service, fostering a work environment in which employees strive to be their best every day, and will have an aptitude for managing the business side of the café. The GM will be visible on the floor and develop relationships with customers, vendors, and delivery drivers alike, while also being responsible for administrative duties related to buying, correspondence, inventory management, staffing, COGS, etc. They will have an unwavering passion for food, coffee, and service.
JOB DESCRIPTION: GENERAL MANAGER
- Coordinate daily front of house café operations
- Interview and hire FOH employees
- Organize and supervise shifts
- Train new and current staff; responsible for ongoing staff development
- Use autonomy to design and implement incentive programs
- Appraise staff performance and provide constructive feedback to improve
- Create, foster, and maintain a positive work environment, reinforcing the specific culture that is Greystone
- Oversee cleanliness of operation
- Maintain health code standards, ensure compliance with sanitation and safety regulations
- Deliver superior service and maximize guest satisfaction; respond efficiently and appropriately to guest complaints
- Business Operations + Management
- Maintain food + labor costs
- Develop inventory management and ordering process
- Run and analyze reports to identify areas for improvement
- Develop and implement strategies to improve key metric areas (COGS, waste, customer satisfaction, etc.)
- Distinct bookkeeping tasks
- BOH Café Oversight and Management
- Manage Food Director/Head Baker to oversee BOH staffing, operations, and inventory management
- Provide input on menu + quality control
- Meet all deadlines and projects as assigned
- Minimum one year experience as a manager in a similar environment
- High attention to detail, organized, and clear communication skills
- Strong leadership skills + self-motivated
- Able to manage and maintain a fast-paced work environment, acting as a team-player and staying calm under pressure
- “Owner’ mindset
- Familiarity with restaurant management software
- Maintain the café’s brand and image through hard work, service, and sincere hospitality
- Flexible availability
- ServSafe certified (not required, but a plus)
This is a full-time position, with generous compensation commensurate with experience, benefits, and equity.
If interested, please reach out to the email below with a resume and cover letter.