Greystone is a neighborhood café, bakery, and provisions shop in the South End of Boston. They’re looking for an Assistant General Manager to join their team.
They are obsessed with good atmosphere, standout food, exceptional coffee, genuine service, and smart business. As a neighborhood café, they have the opportunity to set the tone for someone’s day, and they don’t take that lightly.
They pride themselves on quality products, offering coffee sourced ethically directly from farmers, cooking up delicious baked goods, gourmet sandwiches, and hearty salads in-house, and selling small-batch pantry goods made by local masters of their craft.
They are building a team of thoughtful, passionate, hard-working, over-achievers, and would love for you to join them!
This is a unique opportunity to become part of the fabric of Greystone—helping to shape and run the cafe. It is a good fit for someone who has yearned to open up their own café, or who has a desire to feel a strong sense of ownership, autonomy, and influence over the place they work.
Partnering closely with the owners, the AGM will be responsible for café operations. They will care deeply about creating a warm, welcoming, environment, developing a culture that sets a high standard of service, fostering a work environment in which employees strive to be their best every day, and will have an aptitude for managing the business side of the café. The AGM will be visible on the floor and develop relationships with customers, vendors, and staff alike, while also being responsible for some administrative duties related to buying, inventory management, hiring and managing staff, etc. They will have an unwavering passion for food, coffee, and service.
They are looking for someone who embodies the ethos of Greystone, and who is excited to truly partner with them in developing Greystone!
- Coordinate daily front of house and back of house café operations
- Manage FOH and BOH employees
- Organize and supervise shifts, fill-in where needed
- Train new and current staff; responsible for ongoing staff development
- Appraise staff performance and provide constructive feedback to improve productivity
- Create, foster, and maintain a positive work environment, reinforcing the specific culture that is Greystone
- Oversee cleanliness of operation
- Maintain health code standards, ensure compliance with sanitation and safety regulations
- Deliver superior service and maximize guest satisfaction; respond efficiently and appropriately to guest complaints
- Business Operations + Management
- Responsible for distinct business tasks; logging receipts/invoices properly
- Responsible for ordering from their various vendors
- Café Oversight and Management
- Ensure quality control of products, timeliness, and efficiency of service
- Overall awareness of café operation—keeping an eye toward stock levels, noticing customers who have been waiting too long, crisis prevention
- Meet all deadlines and projects as assigned
- Minimum one year experience as a manager in a similar environment
- High attention to detail, organized, and clear communication skills
- Strong leadership skills + self-motivated
- Able to manage and maintain a fast-paced work environment, acting as a team-player and staying calm under pressure
- “Owner’ mindset
- Maintain the café’s brand and image through hard work, service, and sincere hospitality
- Flexible availability
- ServSafe certified (not required, but a plus)
This is a full-time position, with compensation commensurate with experience, benefits, and opportunity for equity.
If interested, please reach out to the email address provided below.