Forge & Vine is looking for a passionate and experienced chef for the role of Chef de Cuisine to assist with supervising and managing all aspects of the kitchen. Chef De Cuisine will work directly with the Executive Chef to oversee menu creation and development while leading and inspiring the culinary team in a fast pace restaurant setting.
Location: Forge & Vine, Groton, MA
Hours: Full-time, shifts typically 10am – 8pm
Compensation: $60,000 to $90,000 per year, depending on experience.
Start date: ASAP
Benefits: Health insurance, 401k, discounted stays and food & beverage at affiliated properties
Experience: 3 years Sous Chef & culinary experience, management experience required.
The Chef De Cuisine at Forge & Vine and The Groton Inn is a leadership position and will assist the Executive Chef (EC) and Sous Chef to oversee all aspects of F&V cuisine and the kitchen operation, maintaining or exceeding standards of quality and efficiency, and fostering a working environment conducive to learning and leadership development. The Chef De Cuisine will assume the responsibility for the hotline setup, break-down, and operations during peak service periods. The Chef De Cuisine will work closely with the EC, Sous Chef, and other department heads to provide an excellent and memorable dining experience.
SUMMARY OF ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Bring out the highest levels of skill and creativity in the kitchen staff in order to promote the highest levels of quality and creativity in the cuisine.
- Lead with a proactive leadership style, not reactive, through continuous coaching and counseling sessions.
- Maintain the quality and creativity of the cuisine being produced with consideration to quality standards, product and execution, guest appeal, value perception and cost.
- Assist the EC and Sous Chef to ensure the training, motivating, and evaluating of kitchen staff is done efficiently, effectively, and legally.
- Assist the EC with production of banquet events when necessary
- Assist the EC and Sous Chef in execution and follow-up on effective training procedures for the kitchen staff to promote greater consistency and increased productivity while maximizing opportunity for the professional development of associates.
- Ensure that station prep for every meal is done efficiently and accurately, is consistent with business demands, and communicate any needs to the EC or Sous Chef in a timely and effective manner.
- Manage the preparation of menu items consistent with the recipes and standards provided by the EC.
- Drive the line for the 5 days a week that the schedule dictates, shoulder to shoulder with line personnel, holding the standard of every plate that comes off of the line.
- Maintain consistent communication with the EC and Sous Chef to ensure awareness of business levels, scheduled groups and activities, and guests’ special needs and requests.
- Maintain standards of cleanliness, sanitation, and safety as required by MEMIC, OSHA, and the Massachusetts Department of Health and Human Services.
- Protect the assets of Forge & Vine, The Groton Inn and the Migis Hotel Group through constant awareness of general upkeep of all kitchen equipment.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States of America.
- Minimum 3 years as Lead Line Cook or Sous Chef in a similar property.
- Culinary Degree a plus.
- Strong mathematical abilities in order to determine cost, track inventory, and batch cooking planning.
- Ability to cost and control menu items
- Ability to communicate in English, both orally and written, with guest and employees, showing high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy
- Must be able to multi-task and anticipate the needs of the operation and the guests.
- Must be able to work under pressure and deal with stressful situations
- Must be a team player, able to build and maintain strong working relationships with all other members of the management team
- Must be able to change activity frequently and work with constant interruptions