Are you passionate about creating seasonal, healthy, and delicious food?
Do you like working on a great team in a wonderful environment?
Are you ready for an opportunity to work in a dynamic kitchen but without the late nights?
If so, they have the opportunity for you! Flour Bakery + Cafe is searching for a Savory Sous Chef to join their growing team! They are a busy, award-winning, neighborhood cafe with an ever-growing customer base and they are searching for the right person to help them maintain their high standards.
The Sous Chef reports to one of Flour’s Executive Sous Chefs. The objective of the Sous Chef is to manage the savory team – prep and stewards, manage superior savory food and work hand-in-hand with the FOH Manager, Pastry Chef, Head Baker, and Sandwich Station Shift Leader in managing their bakery. Success in this role includes incredible attention to product details and looking at the big picture view of the bakery while developing team members by providing on-going coaching and training in order to ensure high performance and effective succession planning.
Day-to-day Performance Expectations:
- Support the prep and steward staff in their work; correct issues, help make smooth transitions with changes, jump in to help manage workload, maintain a calm and composed demeanor at all times
- Play an active and engaged role on sandwich station assuring their sandwiches and salads are being prepared properly and getting to their guests in a timely manner
- Maintain a clean and organized kitchen including work station, ovens, walk in/freezer, sandwich station, and display case
- Be vigilant with product quality; taste test sandwiches, specials every day
- Manage labor costs for prep and steward staff. Adjust schedule to meet demand.
- Manage savory food cost through proper ordering and inventory control. Manage production and inventory pars.
- Receive and manage daily specials coming from BK.
- Working with co-managers to exceed health code standards.
- Be a vocal part of the management team to improve the bakery as a whole.
- Be approachable for questions from all staff
- Awareness and execution of catering orders and managing the product to fill orders in a timely fashion.
- Take the lead on all kitchen repairs and keep kitchen equipment in good working order
- Be a vocal part of the management team to improve the bakery.
Skills for Qualification:
- Minimum two years of professional kitchen experience
- 1+ year of supervisory or management experience preferred
- Eager to learn, energetic can-do attitude
- Open to feedback and committed to continuous improvement
- Comfortable and confident speaking and leading a small group discussion
- Ability to listen, understand, and fully connect with staff members
- Experience coaching, training, and developing others
- Computer knowledge, comfort with email and google drive
- Ability to speak Spanish is a plus
Flour offers a fantastic work environment, an unparalleled commitment to training to make you a better team member (plus all the pastries you can eat)! They offer benefits such as health/dental/vision insurance, 401k with a generous match, paid vacation/sick time, and a great staff meal policy. They offer a real commitment to growth – both in your skill/knowledge and growing into more senior positions if that is an interest of yours!