Do you like to eat and make award winning baked goods and sandwiches?
Do you like leading a great team in a wonderful environment?
If so, we have the opportunity for you! Flour Bakery + Cafe is looking for an exceptional Pastry Chef for our growing pastry management team! The Pastry Chef is responsible for the pastries at all of Flour’s bakery locations. This person works under the Culinary Director and Director of Operations and the co-owners Joanne and Christopher to ensure the best possible pastries at the bakeries at all times. This position is 50-55 hours a week with at least one weekend day off per week. This position is vital in maintaining Flour’s mission of serving amazing food.
- Improving our pastry systems and processes at the commissary and in the bakeries
- Testing and creating holiday and seasonal menus and menu specials along with Joanne Chang and our Culinary team
- Leading training of all pastry items in commissary
- Leading the bakery in pastry skill and knowledge
- Oversee the pastry department financials and maintain food and labor costs percentages as set by the executive team.
- Use and maintain our crunchtime inventory system and standard order guides to control inventory based on bakery demands
- Becoming intimately familiar with what other bakeries are offering and bringing the best ideas to Flour
- Working in conjunction with our Production Pastry Chef to manage the professional growth and development of our commissary pastry team providing clear paths for qualified candidates
- Maintaining our high quality standards in pastries through regular tastings at both the commissary and the bakeries
- Helping with the training and roll-out processes for new pastry items alongside the Culinary team
- Planning educational field trips to engage our pastry team
- Helping teach classes both to our team and to the public
Day-to-Day Performance Expectations:
- Visit each bakery at least biweekly to have close eyes on product and to engage with kitchen managers
- Taste all pastry items on a regular schedule
- Attend weekly meeting with Joanne Chang/Culinary Director/Culinary Operations Manager with new tastings
- Attend weekly meeting with Production Pastry Chef
- Participate in annual holiday meetings and summer party and any all staff training meetings
- Assist with training as needed in locations
- Communicate pastry feedback to the commissary teams (BK)
- Attend one manager meeting every 2 weeks
- Teach one class to the public quarterly
- Fill in as needed for Commissary Pastry Chef time off requests, etc.
Skills for Qualification:
- Minimum of 6 years of Pastry experience preferred
- Minimum of 3 years of Management experience
- Embraces new information and learns quickly
- Open to feedback and committed to continuous improvement
- Attention to detail
- Actively problem solves using sound judgment
- Effective time management and delegation skills
- Proven and on-going ability to grow sales and control costs
- Spanish speaking preferred or a willingness to learn and grow ability to speak spanish
- Be open to all feedback and committed to experimentation and observation to gain better knowledge of how to improve our pastry department
Flour offers a fantastic work environment, an unparalleled commitment to training and communication to make you a better baker (plus all the pastries you can eat)! We offer benefits such as health/dental/vision insurance, 401k with a generous match, a transportation subsidy in early mornings if you don’t own a car, paid vacation/sick time, a great staff meal policy, and regular field trips to other bakeries and pastry businesses. We offer a real commitment to growth – both in your pastry knowledge and as mentioned above to growing into more senior positions if that is an interest of yours!