Do you like to make (and eat) award winning baked goods and sandwiches? Do you like managing an all-star team in a wonderful environment?
If so, then we might have the perfect opportunity for you! Flour Bakery + Cafe is searching for a Kitchen Manager for our growing team! This person will work with owner Joanne Chang and the entire Flour team to ensure that the missions of Flour are being met at all times.
The Kitchen Manager generally works a schedule of 6am-3pm, 5 days per week including at least 1 weekend day.
The Kitchen Manager is one of two managers who as a team, lead and manage an individual Flour location (the other manager being the FOH Manager). The KM reports to the Executive Chef and Exec Pastry Chef. The objective of the Kitchen Manager is to manage the Flour kitchen, food, boh team, produce superior food and work hand-in-hand with the FOH Manager in managing their bakery under the Flour capacity in upholding the Flour missions. Success in the KM role includes incredible attention to the product, the boh kitchen working environment, looking at the big picture view of the bakery while developing team members by providing on-going coaching and training in order to ensure high performance and effective succession planning.
Day-to-Day Performance Expectations:
- Maintain a clean and organized kitchen including work stations, ovens, walk in/freezer, display counter and case
- Maintain the appearance of the guest-facing pastry counter, case, and bread shelves
- Internal and external ordering and updating of par sheets for both savory and pastry.
- Execution of daily food prep tasks for both pastry and savory including but not limited to: pie slicing, cake slicing, writing on cakes, bake/top cupcakes, sandwich station food prep, quiche reheat.
- Execute monthly/holiday pastry specials
- Be vigilant with product quality; taste three things daily; take note of anything that is not normal looking, constantly be looking at what’s on display – play Nancy Drew!
- Support the sandwich and steward staff in their work; correct issues, help make smooth transitions with changes, jump in to help manage workload, maintain a calm and composed demeanor regardless of whatever is going on
- Play an active and engaged role on sandwich stations and with our pastries assuring our entire menu is being prepared properly and getting to our guests in a timely manner.
- Constantly have eyes on our food ensuring standards are maintained. Giving feedback to BK on food quality both in general and upon receiving/delivery.
- Take the lead on all kitchen repairs and keep kitchen equipment in good working order
- Maintain food and labor costs percentages as set by Flour. Numbers are reviewed bi-weekly in manager meetings. KM is responsible for writing and adjusting BOH schedules to best suit the needs of the bakery on a daily and weekly basis. Manage operational costs like knife rental, linen usage, trash removal, and utilities. Work with Flour’s maintenance manager on making sure grease trap and hood cleaning mandates are current.
- Be a vocal part of the management team to improve the bakery
- Train new staff on product, procedures, the way we do things at Flour and educate staff in use of any new or unfamiliar ingredients
- Be approachable for questions from all staff
- Awareness and execution of catering orders and managing the product to fill orders in a timely fashion.
Skills for Qualification:
- At least three years of food service experience, back of house experience preferred
- At least one year of management or supervisory experience in a professional kitchen preferred
- Open to feedback and committed to continuous improvement
- Dedicated to exceeding the expectations of customers
- Excellent attendance, reliability, communication and interpersonal skills
- Readily adaptable to change
- Embraces new information and learns quickly
- Experience coaching, training, and developing others
- Attention to detail
- Actively problem solves using sound judgment
- Effective time management and delegation skills
Flour offers a fantastic work environment, an unparalleled commitment to training to make you a better team member (plus all the pastries you can eat)! We offer benefits such as health/dental/vision insurance, 401k with a generous match, paid vacation/sick time, and a great staff meal policy. We offer a real commitment to growth – both in your skill/knowledge and growing into more senior positions if that is an interest of yours!
To apply, please send your resume to the email provided below or use the online application link.