Do you like to eat (and make) award winning baked goods and sandwiches?
Do you like managing an all-star team in a wonderful environment?
If so, do we have an opportunity for you! Flour Bakery + Cafe is now hiring for an Overnight Assistant General Manager to join our growing team! This person will work with owner Joanne Chang and the entire Flour team to ensure that the missions of Flour are being met at all times.
The Overnight Assistant General Manager (BKAGM) is a commissary (aka Big Kitchen) manager reporting to the General Manager and is responsible for the operations and performance of the Big Kitchen (BK) with a focus on overnight operations. The BKAGM supports the BK pastry chefs and BK chefs in their jobs and assists in managing the team in achieving the objectives and performance goals within the context of the Flour mission at BK.
The BKAGM focuses on all tenets of our missions: the food, hospitality, community, profitability and creating a great work environment. Success in the BKAGM role includes a) having incredible attention to product, b) thinking proactively about how to improve efficiencies and profitability, c) promoting a positive kitchen working environment, and d) looking at the big picture view of BK and its interaction with the bakery locations while developing team members by providing on-going coaching and training in order to ensure high performance and effective succession planning. The expected starting time for this position would be around 10/11pm.
Day-to-Day Performance Expectations:
- Communication – Keep lines of communication open between you, the BK general manager, the production pastry chef, the flour chef, the assistant production pastry chefs, the production savory chefs, and the staff
- Financial responsibility – staffing levels and labor cost, food cost and waste reduction, overall P+L focus as it pertains to BK and the overnight shift. Set realistic goals, meet w BKGM regarding labor and food costs
- Operational efficiency – Ensure we are operating as efficiently as we can be in terms of space usage, flow, packing.
- Product quality – Uphold and assist in developing systems to ensure we are producing product to the quality level we require. Maintain the taste testing process to ensure product is being tasted constantly. (is there equipment or systems or ways other than what we are currently doing to ensure our product is going out as we want it to).
- Physical plant – Assist in maintaining the physical plant of BK, work in tandem with the BK GM and with the facilities department to maintain the building and address all needs. Conduct weekly walkthroughs to spot any potential problems.
- Equipment needs – assist in research of equipment as needed, help maintain repair schedules and maintenance, assist in oversight of smallwares budget and replacement of worn smallwares as needed, repurpose or discard any unused items on a regular basis to maintain flow and capacity at BK
- Assist in managing CrunchTime and all items involved in having recipes entered for bakery locations and help bakery locations with adjustment of daily shorts in bakery systems
- Assist in managing standardization and maintenance of all BK SOPs
- Work with Logistics/delivery – assist and give feedback on our delivery schedule, assist in maximizing our efficiency in production and packaging and delivery.
- Sanitation standards – Take full responsibility of our sanitation in conjunction with food safety and sanitation team.
- Support and assist with other administrative duties as needed (bill.com, crunchtime, daily sales, etc.)
- Support the bakers, prep team, savory team, and cleaning staff in their work; troubleshoot issues, help make smooth transitions with menu and operational changes and jump in to help manage workload
- Always maintain a calm and composed demeanor
- Maintain a clean and organized production pastry kitchen including work station, ovens, walk in/freezer, and dry storage
- Maintain strict sanitation standards for you and your team, adhering to both city and state regulations; keep ServSafe certification up to date
- Maintain and execute a weekly cleaning schedule to address problem areas and build into preventative maintenance
- Manage any overnight emergencies and connect with all appropriate team members for communication and follow up
- Be vigilant with product quality; taste three things daily and take note of any pastry and savory that is not compliant with our vision
- Hire, train and take part in one-on-one coaching for your team with the support of the production pastry chef. Assist with staff reviews.
- Be approachable for questions from all staff; keep a pulse on staff – frustrations and goals
- Help write/maintain a production list for each baker with room for flexibility
Skills for Qualification:
- 1-2 year kitchen or back of house experience
- 3-4 years management experience
- Ability to operate and use all kitchen equipment
- Open to feedback and committed to continuous improvement
- Strong communicator and listener
- Readily adaptable to change
- Embraces new information and learns quickly
- Experienced in coaching, training, and developing others
- Sharp attention to detail
- Actively problem solves using sound judgment and determined follow through
- Effective time management and delegation skills
- Proven and on-going ability to grow sales and control costs
- Highly organized
- Flour will have a willingness to train the right candidate in either pastry skills OR savory skills needed to perform this role if necessary.
Flour offers a fantastic work environment, an unparalleled commitment to training and communication to make you a better baker (plus all the pastries you can eat)! We offer benefits such as health/dental/vision insurance, 401k with a generous match, a transportation subsidy in early mornings if you don’t own a car, paid vacation/sick time, a great staff meal policy, and regular field trips to other bakeries and pastry businesses. We offer a real commitment to growth – both in your pastry knowledge and to growing into more senior positions if that is an interest of yours!