Barista/Cashier Shift Leader
About Elmendorf Baking Supplies & Cafe
They’re mom & pop owned baking supply shop, cafe, and grain mill in Cambridge, MA. The shop focuses on high-quality baking equipment, supplies, and ingredients with a strong emphasis on regional products.
The cafe offers delicious house-made sandwiches, Barrington coffee & espresso drinks, and awesome baked goods often made with flour milled at the shop.
They’re a pretty cool place to work with a lot to learn and room to grow. The shop has an old-world feel and they expect employees to provide old-school personal customer service. This is a great environment for people with an interest in food, baking, and regional products, as well as coffee and tea.
As shift leader you’d be doing a bit of everything at the shop and taking on a leadership role in their small team. In addition to daily barista, cashier, and retail duties, your position would include running day to day operations of the shop and cafe in the absence of other managers.
Specific responsibilities include providing great customer service, making espresso drinks, and ringing up customers. They’re a small shop and everybody does a bit of everything. Duties also include packaging product for the shelves, milling flour, and washing dishes along with everyday shop tasks.
As a shift leader, they expect you to be detail oriented, hard working, and maintain a sense of urgency in your work. This includes keeping the cafe clean and organized and keeping staff motivated. Shift leaders will also help train new employees and organize employee breaks when no managers are present.
This is a full time position of 32-40 hours a week. Open availability is a must along with willingness to work at least one weekend day.
- At least 1 year of retail/customer service
- At least 1 year of barista experience
- Strong preference will be given to candidates with managerial or shift leader experience
- They’re looking for candidates with a demonstrated interest in baking. You can be an avid home baker or have previous professional baking experience.
- Willingness to learn about products, customer service, etc.
- Must be able to stand on feet for long hours and be able to lift 20 pounds.
- Must have a sense of urgency and keep a friendly demeanor during high volume periods.
- Must be able to take direction, be punctual and reliable, and clean and organized.
$17-19+/hour including tips
- Employee discount
- Shift meals
- Room for growth