Worker-owned brewery and restaurant seeks a leader in the kitchen. Democracy Brewing, a bustling worker-owned brewery and scratch kitchen in the heart of Boston, is currently seeking a motivated, professional, career-minded Head Chef. As a worker cooperative after a year of full time employment you will be eligible for an ownership share – an opportunity to become a full equal partner in a democratic workplace. Becoming a worker-owner at Democracy Brewing includes profit sharing with the other worker-owners and a vote in decisions that affect the business.
Applicants should possess a desire to learn about food, beer, and worker cooperatives. More important than experience is a drive to continuously improve yourself and others, to put down roots, and to be part of an excellent team for the long-term.
The Head Chef will report to and work directly with the General Manager in the organizing, training, and overall planning necessary to achieve stated objectives in sales, employee retention, guest satisfaction, food quality, cleanliness, and sanitation. Continuous education and self development will be of highest priorities along with a commitment to coaching, training, and mentoring the team.
Here’s what they are looking for:
- A minimum of 3 years experience in a similar position
- Bachelor’s Degree in Culinary Arts preferred not required
- Exceptional analytical, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Collaborative work style
- Professional communication skills with the ability to communicate well with staff, guests, and external partners
- Team player with respect for all team members
- Strong planning & organizational skills with emphasis on execution and follow-through
- Extensive knowledge of industry compliance and safety standards
- A strong work ethic and the ability to multitask, prioritize, and adapt to change
- Responsible for recipe development for Democracy Brewing
- Ensures all items on menus are properly costed out with clear recipes for BOH Staff to follow
- Work in creating a voice and marketable food style that will enhance the brand
- Maintain a clean work environment meeting industry standards
- Maintains and requires high sanitation in all areas of the kitchen, including refrigeration, all cooking equipment, prep areas and sinks, floors, garbage and waste cans, dishwashing areas, receiving areas, and dry good storage areas
- Hire, train, and retain a team of kitchen professionals
- Maintain vigilant attention to detail
- Create and maintain kitchen Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Perform quality checks on food during service
- Perform ordering of food and maintaining a positive work relationship with vendors
- Perform preventative maintenance based on established schedules, ensuring that daily, weekly, and annual maintenance is performed
- Have a strong focus on safety, quality, and efficiency while constantly evaluating work practices in the spirit of continuous improvement
- Communicate effectively and work well with other Democracy Brewing leadership including the Head Brewer and General Manager
- Work towards achieving departmental goals around efficiencies and cost
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule of early mornings or late evenings as determined by business flow
- Participate in restaurant activities and events
- Effectively complete additional assigned duties as necessary
- Develop and maintain a product par inventory system that includes adjustments for seasonal fluctuations and varying business activity levels
- Food and Supplies “par” inventories to be closely monitored (over/under stocking).
- Develop proper business contacts with vendors to ensure they are getting the best prices and prompt service
- Coordinate the ordering, receiving (checking and verifying invoices), proper storage, and handling of all food and supplies
- Responsible for the proper rotation of stock to ensure freshness and limited waste
- 86 lists to be maintained (and shortages promptly replenished)
- Adequate internal controls to be solidly in place and monitored daily
- Perform and submit an accurate monthly inventory.
Physical Requirements and Working Condition
- Able to safely lift 80 lbs
- Able to stand for long periods of time
- Able to lift, bend, and move repetitively
- Able to work safely on and around wet floors and equipment
- Able to reach and stretch in tight areas
- Able to climb and work from a ladder or step stool
- Able to work in inconsistent temperatures
- Able to work in a loud work environment
- $60,000 to $80,000 yearly salary, commensurate with experience
Apply via the email address provided below.