Democracy Brewing is a worker-owned brewery and restaurant located in the heart of downtown Boston committed to worker empowerment, community and providing quality food, beer, and exceptional service. We constantly strive to be democratic in our approach to running the business, and give every worker the opportunity to become an owner after 1 year of employment, as well as run for the board of directors.
The General Manager Role
The General Manager is a crucial leader in ensuring our food, beer, and service are exceptional. The General Manager maintains and is responsible for a democratic work environment, the various HR and service related systems and processes, and the financial stability of the Temple Place location of Democracy Brewing.
Scope of Work
People Management (60%)
- Continuously strives to develop staff to improve productivity and ensure all restaurant staff and management team members have the necessary tools to perform daily duties.
- Achieve company objectives in sales, service, quality, appearance of facility, sanitation, and cleanliness through training of employees and by creating a positive and productive working environment.
- Make employment and termination decisions across departments
- Oversee and ensure that restaurant policies on employee performance appraisals are followed and completed on a timely basis.
- Communicate all aspects of weekly operations by leading weekly team management meetings.
- Be the example of how a worker owner at Democracy Brewing should conduct themselves both in and out of the building.
Organizational Development (20%)
- Assist in developing, planning, and executing restaurant marketing, advertising, and promotional activities and campaigns.
- Forecast and implement improvement plans for management development, and continuing education.
- Design and implement company policy and standards as needed.
Operational Duties (20%)
- Uphold and conform to all policies, procedures, standards, specifications, guidelines and training programs, including steps of service and hospitality standards.
- Ensure that all food and products are consistently prepared and served according to the restaurant’s recipes, portioning, cooking, and serving standards.
- Control cash and other receipts by adhering to cash handling and reconciliation procedures in accordance with restaurant policies and procedures.
- Fill in where needed to ensure guest service standards and efficient operations are always meeting guest expectations.
- Prepare all required paperwork, including forms, reports, and schedules in an organized and timely manner. Putting the infrastructure and systems in place that are required to operate the front of the house.
Qualities of a Successful Applicant
- Ability to communicate needs and ask questions – For a team to function effectively we need strong, regular communication.
- Strong commitment to hospitality – This position requires a high level of hospitality to our guests and our staff.
- Mentor mentality – A drive to continuously educate both yourself and those around you.
- Democratic management – Ensuring people are heard in the process of making decisions and thinking through how and who these decisions impact.
- 3 years of management experience preferred.
- 1 year of hospitality experience preferred.
- Project Management: Proven experience bringing a project to completion from conception. Able to perform research and development, implementation, manage a budget, conduct evaluation, and ensure ongoing project improvement.
- Creative Problem Solving: Demonstrated ability to foresee obstacles, generate and implement solutions, and manage long-term changes as needed.
- Technology: Proficient with GoogleSuites, Slack, and experience with point of sale software.
- Leadership: Proven experience leading a team
- Experience working within a worker cooperative.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
Compensation and Benefits
- Salary Range: $64,000 – $74,000
- 3 weeks PTO
- Paid sick time
- Monthly Perq T pass
- Ownership eligibility after 1 year