Catalyst, a modern American cuisine restaurant located in Kendall Square, is searching for a pastry chef to join their BOH team. The Pastry Chef reports directly to the Executive Sous Chef and collaborates with all departments and team members as needed. The Pastry Chef is a hands-on position and must lead by example with enthusiasm, organization and understand the culture of hospitality.
The pastry chef manages the production and execution of the pastries and desserts for the restaurant and events department.
The pastry chef must demonstrate creativity and a passion for food and beverage. In addition he/she must
uphold all company policies and standards, including safety and sanitation.
- 3-5 Years of professional baking experience in pastry, preferably in pastry in a restaurant or bakery setting
- Ability to handle high volume production
- Ability to multi-task and handle stressful situations
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Understands excellent service and the culture of hospitality
- Possesses excellent organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to changes and last-minute requests
- Cooperate and communicate with all serving and kitchen staff
- Treats guests and all team members with respect and professionalism
- Cultivates a positive work environment/Team player
- Ability to develop positive and constructive working and interpersonal relationships with guests and colleagues
- Passionate about the hospitality industry and service and upholds the Catalyst vision statement and standards
- Active listener
- Guest-centric-Understands excellent service and the culture of hospitality
- Create/develop menu items in collaboration with the Chef/Owner and Executive Sous Chef
- Create a production schedule
- Ensure consistent, high quality food products
- Responsible for training cooks on the presentation of each production to ensure it is consistently prepared and replicated for each service/event
- Execute daily production of all bread items (includes mixing, shaping and baking), daily and seasonal specials, event and off-site catering pastries/desserts
- Organize daily mise en place inventory to create daily production lists of stations
- Coordinate with the Executive Sous Chef regarding purchasing needs
- Verify all deliveries for proper quality and quantities. Take proper action to rectify any issues with orders to ensure the restaurant has necessary ingredients and supplies
- Ensure all equipment and overall environment are kept clean and in excellent working condition through personal inspection and following restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs
- Review labor schedules and modify staffing configurations based upon business/sales volume
- Paid Vacation
- Holidays (they are closed for the following holidays unless there is an event): New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas
If you are interested in joining the Catalyst team, please send a cover letter and resume to chef-owner William Kovel at the email address provided below.