Catalyst, a modern American cuisine restaurant located in Kendall Square, is searching for an Assistant Pastry Chef. The Assistant Pastry Chef reports directly to the Pastry Chef and collaborates with all departments and team members as needed. The Assistant Pastry Chef is a hands-on position and must be able to work independently, as well as with a team.
The assistant pastry chef helps manage the production and execution of the pastries and desserts for the restaurant and events department.
The assistant pastry chef must demonstrate creativity and a passion for food and beverage. In addition he/she must uphold all company policies and standards, including safety and sanitation.
- Experience in a professional kitchen with some time in a pastry department is preferred.
- Ability to handle high volume production
- Ability to multi-task and handle stressful situations
- Critical thinking/problem solving skills
- Ability to take direction and work independently
- Understands excellent service and the culture of hospitality
- Possesses excellent organizational skills
- Ability to adapt to changes and last-minute requests
- Cooperate and communicate with all serving and kitchen staff
- Treats guests and all team members with respect and professionalism
- Ability to develop positive and constructive working and interpersonal relationships with guests and colleagues
- Passionate about the hospitality industry and service and upholds the Catalyst vision statement and standards
- Active listener
- Mainly morning/afternoon shifts with some flexibility on weekends and holidays.
- Ensure consistent, high quality food products
- Responsible for training cooks on the presentation of each production to ensure it is consistently prepared and replicated for each service/event
- Execute daily production of all bread items (includes mixing, shaping and baking), daily and seasonal specials, event and off-site catering pastries/desserts
- Ensure all equipment and overall environment are kept clean and in excellent working condition through personal inspection and following restaurant’s preventative maintenance programs
- Paid Vacation
- Holidays (we are closed for the following holidays unless there is an event): New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas