Café du Pays is looking to hire a Front of House Attendant
Hourly / Salary: $15/ hour + revenue share
Full / Part Time: 40 hours/week
Expected Median Number of Hours Per Week: 40
Expected Hours and Days of the Week: Wednesday – Sunday mornings and afternoons + some evening hours available.
*Start time may be adjusted for special events. End time may be adjusted for business decline/volume.
- Simple IRA: A Matched simple IRA retirement plan to help you invest in your future – and you can take it with you when you leave. Any employee that has been with them for one year and has made at least $500 in that calendar year, is eligible to participate.
- Health Insurance: Big Dipper Hospitality Group offers a co-pay health insurance policy to all full-time employees. (30+Hours / Week)
- After 60 days of employment, you become eligible to enroll in health insurance, which will take effect on or before your 90th day of employment.
- Harvard Pilgrim HMO
- 24/7 Gym Membership: Discounted to $20/month (they pay $10/month) *temporarily closed, but members can go to the First Street or Tech Square
- Perks at Work: An exclusive employee discount program for services and products. If you choose to enroll – you will receive access to hundreds of promotions as well as have the opportunity to opt in to weekly updates from Perks at Work via email.
- Discounts on dining across all restaurants: State Park, Mamaleh’s Delicatessen, Café du Pays
- Discounted parking at the One Kendall Square Garage – $8/day
Vincent’s Corner Grocery began as a pop-up at Café du Pays in May of 2020. Café du Pays opened in summer of 2017 to critical acclaim, serving hearty French-Canadian and French-inspired food and thoughtfully curated drinks menus. Their professional yet casual, informed and unimposing style of service contributed to their recognition as Best New Restaurant of 2017 in Boston Magazine and by the editors of Eater Boston. They grew as a restaurant retaining much of their original staff until their COVID-19 related closure on March 15th of 2020. They reopened weeks later as Vincent’s, offering fresh vegetables, pantry staples, and prepared foods for their neighbors. Those offerings have now evolved into a small but thoughtful bottle shop with natural wine, craft beer, and bottled cocktails in addition to a takeout and delivery-oriented kitchen operation serving casual and delicious lunch and brunch as well as a more refined dinner menu.
They are a family run, independent, award winning restaurant group who are sustainably minded and have proudly operated restaurants in Cambridge since 2008. The ownership and management team work hard alongside staff daily and have enacted a food revenue sharing program amongst the entire hourly team. Seeking like minded individuals!
The Front of House Attendant is a multi-faceted position involving guest-facing tasks, as well as grocery and beverage related duties. This position is for friendly, dynamic individuals who enjoy working efficiently and are capable of multitasking with a positive attitude. There is generally one Front of House Attendant working each shift in addition to the service manager, so clear communication skills and ability to work well with others are musts. As roles and responsibilities grow with the addition of patio service this spring, they will grow their staff with the intent of cross training as much as possible.
- Distinct interest in food, beverage, and service
- Food and/or beverage service experience
- POS proficiency and cash handling experience
- Customer service experience
- Responsible and able to work independently
Things are often changing with the business as this style of service is new and they are adapting. The following is a list of current responsibilities.
- Handle guests needs re: ordering, via phone, online and in person.
- Troubleshoot delivery order issues.
- Pack orders and send them out to guests
- Follow the ‘Sanitize Checklist’
- Stock and Stamp To-Go supplies
- Update counts in Toast
- Add or modify menu items in Toast
- Maintain all displays
- Anticipate guest needs
- Water plants
- Set up coffee and bar stations.
- Prep and serve coffee, tea, and other beverages..
- Prep, pack and serve batched cocktails.
- Re-stock and monitor inventory of packaged drinks
- Maintain a working knowledge of ALL beverages: wine, beer, cocktails, sodas, coffee, and tea.
- Stock and stamp to-go drink supplies.
- General upkeep and maintenance of coffee and bar equipment.
Grocery and Food service:
- Assisting on the expediter station as needed, packing bags food items and diligently and in an orderly fashion
- Maintaining pastry and grocery displays
- Monitoring quality and freshness of grocery items
- Monitoring inventory of grocery items
- Follow company standards for COVID-19 protocols and adjusted work environment.
- Hand washing.
- Mask wearing.
- Daily health checks.
- Sweep and mop floors
- Clean and breakdown stations
- Clean and sanitize all surfaces, both high touch and also window ledges, baseboards, countertops, etc.
- Assist with dishes.
- Assist with trash and recycling.
- Bathroom daily maintenance.
- Work as a team.
- Communication with BOH, savory and pastry teams.
- Customer service.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of drink making, working the POS system, etc. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The physical demands for this position are seeing, hearing, speaking, reaching, lifting up to 50 pounds, standing for 5 to 10 hours, bending, and moving frequently during working hours. These physical requirements may be accomplished with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Be a source of positivity for coworkers with a “yes we can” attitude
- Work under pressure: When the going gets tough, the tough get going
- Ability to multitask and work efficiently
- Self-motivated and able to work independently as well as in a team environment
- Ability to take feedback and be collaborative
- Respectful and effective interpersonal skills and willingness to learn
- Positive work ethic and attitude
- Possess problem-solving capabilities and be resourceful
Available for motivated employees who take initiative and exhibit leadership qualities, as well as a willingness to grow and learn. As this is a growing company, there are many varied opportunities for promotion, including but not limited to employment at other locations within Big Dipper Hospitality Group.
PERFORMANCE REVIEW SCHEDULE
All hourly employees of the Big Dipper Hospitality Group will have bi-annual performance reviews to:
- Assess progress
- Clarify and prioritize expectations
- Lay out areas for improvement and set goals
- Encourage professional development and growth
WHAT THEY OFFER
- A sustainably minded, positive work environment
- A company to learn from and grow within
- Role models within the company
- Experience working within a multi-location restaurant group
- Community volunteer opportunities and Charitable donations
- Experience with private events and catering organization
- Flexibility with scheduling whenever possible
- Back of House Revenue Share
- Software training:
- Toast – pos system
- Adobe Illustrator – menu /signage design
- Stratex- human resources software
- 7shifts – scheduling software
- Google Drive – guides for the entire restaurant operation /food/drink/training
Big Dipper (State Park, Mamaleh’s, Café du Pays) is an equal opportunity employer and shall treat all applicants for employment equally based upon job-related qualifications and without regard to race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status, military or veteran status, national origin, disability, religion, political activity, lawful tobacco use while off-duty, or any other characteristic protected by law.