The Pastry Supervisor is responsible for assisting in overseeing the Pastry Kitchen to ensure productivity, quality and ensuring that the standard of the product is exceeding expectations. This position is also responsible to coach & counsel staff when appropriate, including monitoring that policies and procedures are being met. Also, ensuring the desserts, plating and presentation are up to the Forbes Standards.
- Graduation from accredited Culinary school, or equivalent work experience. Baking and Pastry Arts degree preferred, but will consider overall experience.
- Minimum of 2 years of progressive Baking & Pastry Art’s experience; Supervisory experience preferred.
- Hospitality experience preferred.
The primary responsibilities for the Pastry Supervisor will include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef with overseeing all production of pastry goods, including but not limited to: cookies, brownies, breads, cakes, puddings, icing, specialty pastries, etc.
- Assist in the training of the Pastry employees in the proper preparation of menu items, equipment and machine safety.
- Continually review menus and items, while coordinating with the Executive Pastry Chef to update the menus as appropriate, including recipes, menu specifications and productions forecasts.
- Oversee that all the equipment in the Pastry Kitchen is clean and in proper working condition, ensuring any issues are taken are of with the Engineering team.
- Assist with weekly and monthly inventories of all Pastry items.
- Monitor to ensure proper receiving, storage and rotation of food products, as to comply with the City of Boston health department regulations, including coverage, labeling, dating and placing items in proper containers for kitchen and service.
- Create and maintain a highly functional, teamwork-oriented, back of the house team.
- Assist the Executive Pastry Chef with special projects as assigned.
In addition to performance of key responsibilities, this position may be required to possess a combination of the following skills and experiences:
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, along with demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast-paced work environment.
- Familiar with monitoring of food and labor costs.
- Familiar with ordering and inventory procedures and health and sanitation guidelines.
- Demonstrated ability to work cohesively with a team.
- Ability to exercise sound logic and judgment in evaluating situations and utilizing appropriate resources.
- Must be self-directed, motivated and demonstrate exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language, both verbally and in writing. A second language is desirable.
- Problem solving, reasoning, motivating, organizational and training abilities are sued often. May be required to work nights, weekends, and/or holidays.
The Boston Harbor Hotel is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color national origin, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.