A member of Preferred Hotels & Resorts LEGEND Collection, Boston’s only Forbes Five-Star waterfront hotel welcomes guests arriving by land or sea. Located on the historic Rowe’s Wharf Harbor, the Boston Harbor Hotel’s inviting ambiance and unparalleled service provide the ideal home away from home for travelers. Luxurious accommodations with sweeping views of Boston’s cityscape or breathtaking waterfront, a contemporary spa and fitness center, world-class dining and a 34-slip marina make the Boston Harbor Hotel a destination Beyond compare.
The Director of Banquets will oversee and manage the banquet and stewarding operations for the Boston Harbor Hotel. Reporting to the Director of Food and Beverage, the Director of Banquets is responsible for hiring, training and development of all banquet and stewarding team members to ensure the department is consistently providing the highest level of guest service in accordance with their Forbes Five-Star standards, while meeting or exceeding revenue goals and maintaining the guest experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably specializing in Hospitality, Business Administration, and or related major, or equivalent experience is required.
- 2 or more years as Director of Banquets, including previous experience in multiple food & beverage management positions.
Licenses or Certificates
- Preferably TIPS and ServSafe Certification.
The primary responsibilities for the Director of Banquets include but are not limited to:
- Directing the day-to-day activities and assignments of the Banquets Managers, Housemen, Stewards and Banquet Servers.
- Working closely with the hotel’s Executive Chef and the Director of Catering, to ensure proper coverage and exceptional levels of quality service.
- Assume responsibility for all Banquets facilities including cleanliness, repair and maintenance, reporting any issues as required.
- Developing and communicating departmental strategies and goals, and assigning/prioritizing work duties.
- Communicating and enforcing policies and procedures with team members.
- Ensure all financial reporting is maintained and accurate billing for each Banquets event is recorded.
- Leading the performance management of the Banquet staff, including regular performance appraisals, coaching and counseling, when appropriate.
- Ensuring all team members are properly trained on quality and service standards and is provided the tools and equipment needed to effectively carry out their job functions.
- Achieving budgeted revenues, preparing monthly forecast, monitoring and controlling food, beverage and labor costs, and maximizing profitability within all Banquet events.
- Establishing and achieving quality and guest satisfaction goals; responding in a courteous and prompt manner to all guest questions, complaints and/or requests.
- Ensuring consistent adherence to Forbes Five-Star service and Boston Harbor Hotel brand standards, while elevating product and service.
- Promoting teamwork and quality service through daily communication and coordination with other departments.
- Communicating with team members and Banquets Managers to ensure operational needs are met as well as facilitate regular departmental monthly meetings.
- Working with the Banquets team to inform and drive innovative promotions, providing a platform to communicate with guests a universal approach to all hotel promotions.
- Attract and select talent, coach and develop team members and engage and align team members to successfully implement initiatives.
- Adhere to the annual budget while managing the flow of labor cost, and create an environment of engagement for team members.
In addition to performance of the key responsibilities, this position may be required to possess a combination of the following skills and experiences:
- Requires a working knowledge of banquet and stewarding operations as well as luxury core standards, and standard operating procedures.
- Strong organizational and analytical skills, along with demonstrated ability to multi-task and prioritize in a fast- paced work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work with maximum efficiency, accuracy and attention to detail.
- Ability to effectively lead and work cohesively as part of a team.
- Ability to exercise sound logic and judgment in evaluating situations and utilizing appropriate resources.
- Must be self-directed, motivated and demonstrate exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the English language both verbally and in writing. A second language is desirable.
- Must have experience in all Microsoft Office and industry relevant payroll systems.
The Boston Harbor Hotel is an equal opportunity employer encouraging diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color national origin, gender (including pregnancy), age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.