Bella Luna & the Milky Way is a Jamaica Plain institution that has been serving love on the plate for over a quarter century. This popular neighborhood gathering spot was founded in 1993 by a small group of community activists whose goal is to practice hospitality with a purpose. They are focused on inclusion and creating a space where all feel welcome. Every year they donate a percentage of earnings to local non-profit organizations dedicated to social justice by giving away pizza and gift cards and by hosting events at reduced cost in their space. They also provide entertainment 7 nights per week with Boston’s most diverse line-up of DJs, live music and dancing.
Guests love their space in the historic Haffenreffer Brewery Complex with its exposed brick walls, high ceilings, local artwork, cosmic star lantern lights and large garden patio. This space reflects their vibrant, warm, inviting personality. Their menu also reflects their mission, offering delicious, creative dishes at affordable prices with casual, friendly service. They have become a popular wedding venue, and usually host several parties every week such as retirement parties, corporate networking events, school staff gatherings, baby showers, birthday parties and anniversary celebrations. Bella Luna & The Milky Way is an independent, women-run small business that has served literally hundreds of thousands of guests over several generations and they look forward to serving future generations for decades to come. The values they prioritize and continuously strive to achieve are:
Generosity * Inclusivity * Creativity * Respect * Celebration
Local Community, World Social Justice * Team Spirit * Love-Driven
They are looking for a high-energy, detail-oriented manager to lead their Bar Team. This individual will share their commitment to hospitality with a purpose, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, high-volume neighborhood restaurant with entertainment. The bar manager will work closely with the owners and Management Team to ensure the long-term success of Bella Luna & The Milky Way.
- Managing the bar team for success
- Working closely with the kitchen team and front-of-house team, interact with guests, give direction to other staff members, and trouble-shoot to resolve problems
- Overseeing day-to-day operations of the bar, including night-time events
- Participating as part of the leadership team of Bella Luna
- Running an efficient and profitable bar
- Maintaining written recipes and accurate menu information
- Having excellent mixology skills and experience in high-volume venues
- Ordering, receiving and managing all bar products
- Conducting an accurate inventory
- Keeping bar sales growing and meeting quarterly sales targets and implementing sales promotions at the bar
- Developing weekly bar specials and seasonal new bar menu items to create customer excitement
- Maintaining a clean, well-organized and fully stocked bar
- Closing Bella Luna & The Milky Way, following all procedures to ensure the entire venue is safe and secured at the end of the shift.
- Schedule and Compensation
- Full time position, three – four bar shifts per week plus daytime hours
- Hourly plus pooled tips
- Paid vacation
- Fun, team-based environment!