Do you consider yourself a professional? Does the feel, look and smell of handcrafted bread and pastries excite you? Would you like joining a new team in a great environment right next to the park?
Bakey, a new concept by Mr. Uri Scheft (@urischeft), former co-founder of Breads Bakery NYC (@breadsbakery) and the co-owner and founder of Lehamim Bakery, Israel (@lehamimbakery) just arrived in Boston and is in a search for a Production Baker/Pastry Chef to join their growing team!
This person will work with Jonathan Posiko, Bakey’s Bakery Supervisor, and others from Bakey’s team to ensure the missions of Bakey are being met at all times. This person works with the bakery team to prepare, mix, shape, scale, laminate and assemble artisan bread dough and pastry items to help ensure all baked goods are always coming fresh out of the oven.
This is a full-time position and the ideal candidate should be energetic, positive, organized, clean, able to multitask and very passionate about baked goods. Working under pressure and being comfortable and positive in a fast-paced business is another key for success. Flexible schedule required with early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays.
Salary: $16-$24 an hour (full-time)
- 2-3 years baking or pastry experience (combination of education, training or work experience); a culinary or apprenticeship program is preferred.
- Artisan bread and/or dough lamination knowledge necessary (including working with natural leaveners, high hydration and long-fermentation dough, as well as enriched yeasted dough).
- Must be able to operate bakery equipment including, but not limited to, spiral mixers, planetary mixers, hydraulic dividers, reversible sheeters, etc.
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs and stand up to 8 hours.
Day-to-Day Performance Expectations:
- Treat all customers, vendors and co-workers with dignity and respect.
- Show up and be prepared to work scheduled shifts on time. Be flexible to allow for unexpected changes that may occur.
- Keep a critical eye while mixing, laminating and shaping breads and pastries. Test and evaluate products through each step of the production cycle keeping detailed notes.
- Follow par guides and recipes to accurately produce necessary products each day.
- Operate machinery safely and with care. Follow appropriate safety protocols and clearly communicate with team members around hazardous kitchen equipment and tools.
- Work neatly and efficiently on daily prep lists. Clean as you go and always remember customers’ eyes are on the whole team.
- Communicate ordering needs to the Bakery Supervisor in a timely manner.
- Help check in vendor deliveries as they arrive. Check off each item individually with products, especially produce, being checked thoroughly for quality.
- Keep walk-in, dry storage, and freezer organized and well-maintained. Communicate any problems or needed repairs.
- Restock and FIFO (first-in, first-out) as needed.
- Check dates on all prepared items and discard expired ones if necessary.
- Communicate effectively with your team members and help each other complete tasks on time.
- Communicate effectively with FOH members to make sure counters are well-stocked.
- Actively listen to and accept constructive feedback. Continually look for ways to improve the bakery, the team, and yourself.
- Keep your work and common areas clean during your shift and at the end of your shift, clean and sanitize your work station thoroughly.
Some specifics of their ideal candidate:
- Love of breads and pastries
- Dedicated to consistently produce exceptional product
- Thrive in a team environment
- Excellent reliability
- Effective time management
- Communicate clearly
- Receptive of feedback
Bakey offers a fantastic work environment and a commitment to training and communication to make you better in your role. They offer a full benefits package, including: health insurance, dental optional, 401k matching, paid vacation and sick time.
Future: as a new business they are aiming for growth and they invite you to join their team and to grow with them.