American Provisions is a specialty market that specializes in cheese, meat, natural wine, craft beer, gourmet groceries and sandwiches. The carry products from people who are dedicated to supporting their local communities and using methods that respect the environment at the source of their products.
The General Manager at American Provisions’ Dorchester location is the person who will set the tone for the experience of both the customer and the employees. This person will model what customer service looks like and drive the mood and culture for the whole space. The GM will be hyper aware of their surroundings, constantly being mindful of the store’s appearance from the eyes of the customer, and be able to set clear expectations to the staff for keeping the store looking dope. It is imperative that the GM constantly model that behavior! The GM will be visible on the floor, and have relationships with customers, vendors and delivery drivers alike. This is not a job that can be conducted sitting behind a computer! They must be present, verbal and active!
This person will model what hard work looks like and be a master at all of the jobs they are asking their staff to perform. While they will be able to jump seamlessly onto any station at anytime, most importantly they will be able to rise above the dance floor to the balcony to see all of the moving pieces of the shop.
The GM will be profits driven! They will constantly be mindful of the bottom line and feel comfortable making decisions for the best interest of the store’s mission and culture as it relates to the bottom line. They are a small shop and this job requires someone who will keep an eye on all products that walk in and out of their doors. They will have an understanding of what a weekly/monthly/quarterly balance sheet looks like and operate w/ an understanding of costs and driving sales.
The GM will supervise, train and develop staff! They will be respectful of every human being they come in contact with, have a sense of humor, and be able to connect with their staff on a personal level. This is their lifeline! They want badass, creative, thoughtful human beings to work for them, and when they work for them, they want them to grow with them. They want to collect amazing people and the only way to do that is by allowing them to learn, develop and grow once they are here. This takes work and intentional relationship building from the GM. They will also be able to address any disciplinary issues in a straightforward respectful manner and operate transparently w/ clear expectations. The GM is the bottom line! If they see something they don’t like they will act on it. If a staff member is acting in a way that doesn’t best represent AP, they will address it immediately, and confidently.
- Set the highest standards for customer service, and supervise all employees in doing the same
- Supervise and delegate tasks to other American Provisions team members
- Responsible for all FOH shift Scheduling, staff training and discipline
- Make final decisions on matters of importance.
- Have an understanding of the weekly budget and work within that allotted budget
- Manage inventory, food and labor costs to maximize profits
- Store Opening and Closing Procedures
- Make weekly product orders
- Be an active learner and teacher regarding beer, wine and specialty products
- Oversee all facets of their catering program
- Help to create and grow catering sales
- Oversee demo scheduling
- Create and maintain relationships with the vendors with which you are responsible for buying
- Provide any relevant product related training to staff including training materials
- Understand the culture and mission of American Provisions and always act in its best interest
- Perform all duties related to serving customers including: making sandwiches, serving cheese, meat, and coffee, stocking, and performing cashier duties
- Follow and comply with all applicable health and sanitation procedures and adhere to safe work practices
- Organized and detail oriented
- Passionate about food & beverage
- Demonstrate ability to stay calm under pressure
- Excellent communication skills
- Customer-service oriented
- Trustworthy and team oriented
- Sense of humor
Apply via the email address provided below.